Expressions of Interest now open
The University of Canberra Council and ACT Government are seeking expressions of interest from people who wish to nominate for a position arising on the Council in January 2019. Appointment to this vacancy is to be made by the ACT Chief Minister.
See here for further information and to nominate.
Council is the governing authority of the University as established by the University of Canberra Act 1989 (ACT). Council has the entire management of the University and is to act in all matters concerning the University in the way it considers will best promote the interests of the University.
The exercise of powers reserved to the Council are listed in the Reserved Powers of Council PDF, 988.32 KB.
Council meetings are governed by the Standing Orders PDF, 177.26 KB and held at least six times per year. Council meetings are open to the public, except for those items that have been declared confidential and are held in a closed session (and depending on the available seating).
Council is responsible for:
- Strategic direction, budget and business plan;
- Oversight and review of Executive and University performance;
- Management and control of finances;
- University legislation and policies;
- Overseeing and monitoring academic activities;
- Overseeing and monitoring risk management, systems of control and accountability;
- Overseeing management and control of property and business affairs; and
- Management of Council's own affairs.
Committees of Council
Council is supported by the following committees: