- Supports Council in exercising its governance responsibilities for the establishment of an appropriate and effective legislative foundation for the University; and
- Exercises governance responsibilities on behalf of Council in receiving and reviewing advice in relation to legal matters as required.
Terms of Reference
The Committee advises Council on:
- proposed amendments to the University of Canberra Act 1989 (ACT) and any other matters relating to the Act;
- the appropriate legislative foundation of the University, comprising statutes and rules made under the University of Canberra Act 1989, and other statutory instruments as may be appropriate;
- the outcome of reviews of the statutes and rules of the University, which the Committee undertakes as necessary and at least within a three year cycle;
- the objects, provisions and text of individual statutes and rules;
- significant legal and compliance risks and the mitigation of those risks; and
- any legal matter referred to the Committee by Council.
The Committee may determine, on the delegated authority of Council:
- policy or action strategies in relation to legal matters or in response to legal advice.
2017 Meeting Dates
- Thursday, 4 May 2017
- Thursday, 5 October 2017
|Category||Member||Period of Appointment|
|Member of Council with relevant expertise as Chair||Ms Prue Power AM||7 March 2014 - 31 January 2018|
|One of two members of Council||Ms Mara Eversons||1 February 2016 - 31 December 2017|
|One of two members of Council||Ms Sue Salthouse||7 March 2014 - 31 January 2018|
|Vice-Chancellor & President (ex officio)||Professor H. Deep Saini|
|Staff Advisory Member||Assistant Professor Maree Sainsbury|
|Acting Secretary||Ms Kathleen O'Sullivan|
|Minutes Secretary||Ms Helen Vooren|