N&MRC PhD Stipend Scholarship
Call for Applications: Fully funded PhD opportunity
The News and Media Research Centre invites applications from outstanding candidates to undertake a PhD funded by an N&MRC PhD Stipend Scholarship.
The N&MRC advances public understanding of our changing media environment. The Centre conducts breakthrough research into digital news consumption and the impacts of digital technology on public discourse and democratic participation.
The PhD candidate will be supervised by the Centre’s academic leaders in the field of Communication and Media Studies, on a topic related to one of its three research Labs:
- Digital News+ Lab. The home of the Digital News Report: Australia, DN+L researches the changing nature of the news and media industries in the digital environment. Potential research projects include:
- Journalism in the digital age
- News consumption in regions, generations and social groups
- Digital media policy and regulations
- Digital platforms
- Critical Conversations Lab investigates the way issues of social and political concern emerge through media and digital networks to enable public participation and influence political agendas. Projects might include:
- Royal Commissions as ‘critical conversations’
- Public discourse and networks (e.g. climate change, ageing, or work)
- Media and social policy
- Political and government communication
- The Media Cultures Lab examines the impact of digital media technologies on social behaviour and social change, particularly in our daily lives. Projects include:
- Media discourse of active transport policy
- Parents and technology
- Cyber safety
- Generations and technology
The N&MRC provides a stimulating and supportive research training environment, where Higher Degree by Research candidates work with experienced researchers and participate in seminars, workshops and masterclasses.
Applications for this PhD Scholarship are invited from competitive applicants with excellent academic track records, and relevant professional experience. The N&MRC Stipend will be paid at the full RTP Scholarship rate of $28,092 (2019 rates), plus $4,000 Faculty of Arts and Design infrastructure support.
Interested candidates should prepare an Application incorporating:
- Covering letter of no more than two pages addressed to Professor Kerry McCallum, Director, News and Media Research Centre.
- Curriculum Vitae. This should include academic qualifications and professional experience.
- Research Proposal of up to 1000 words should include: Title, aims and purpose of the proposed research; reference to key academic literature; understanding of the topic and its professional context; proposed research design and methods; and potential outcomes of the study. Candidates are strongly advised to identify potential supervisors and contact them, or the N&MRC Director, Kerry McCallum to discuss their proposed topic.
- References: All applications require two academic and/or professional references.
Applications are welcome by 15 December 2019, for commencement in 2020.
For further information contact: email@example.com.