International Baccalaureate Schools
The number of schools offering International Baccalaureate (IB) programs worldwide has increased rapidly over the last two decades. As of January 2022, there are 5,475 schools offering IB programs around the world. Reflecting the fast growth of IB schools, the Comparative and International Education for Development research group aims to explore several key issues in relation to the growth of IB schools across many countries. The research foci include:
- educational leadership in IB schools
- professional learning communities in IB schools
- IB teachers’ professional characteristics and work life
- IB students’ academic and non-academic performance in comparison with non-IB students’ performance; and
- policy implications of the expansion of IB programs into local/national education systems.
Taking a comparative perspective, we aim to conduct a series of empirical studies across different countries.
International Baccalaureate (IB) Schools
As of March 2022, there are 5,511 IB schools around the world. Despite the fast growth of IB schools over the last two decades, issues around IB school leadership, the professional characteristics of IB teachers, and IB students’ learning outcomes are all still under-researched. The CIED group has investigated those research areas.
Find out more
For further information on the International Baccalaureate Schools research program, please contact Prof Moosung Lee.