Strange, Mr. Shane
Course Convenor, Writing
Faculty of Arts & Design
Bldg, Floor & Room: 20, C16
Telephone: (02) 6201 2597
Facsimile: (02) 6201 2649
Shane Strange is a tutor and lecturer in writing and literary studies. He is a writer of essays, short fiction and creative non-fiction who has been published widely in Australia. In 2014, he was a contributor to, and co-editor of the book Creative manoeuvres: writing, making, being (Cambridge Scholars Press). Between 2005-2008 he was a regular book reviewer for The Courier Mail.
Areas of Teaching
- Literary studies: Reading the City
- Writing Short Narratives
- Short fiction and short fiction writing
- creative labour and cultural work
- subjectivity and creative practice
- Cultural representations of the city
- B.Arts, U.Q. (English and Political Science)
- M.Arts, Deakin (Professional Writing)
- S Strange (2014). Situating the Creative Response. In S. Strange, P. Hetherington, & J. Webb (Eds.), Creative manoeuvres: Writing, making, being. (pp. 141–156). Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Strange, S. (2012). Creative Research – A Radical Subjectivity?. Text, Special Issue No 14 Beyond Practice-Led Research
- Strange, S. (2011). Lost in Hanoi: Disorientation, Travel, and Urban Space. Journeys, 12(2), 80–95. doi:10.3167/jys.2011.120204
- Strange, S., & Hetherington, P. (2014). Making the City Otherwise: Ways of teaching the writing of poetry. In The Minding the gap: Writing across thresholds and fault lines papers – The Refereed Proceedings Of The 18th Conference Of The Australasian Association Of Writing Programs, 2013. Wellington, New Zealand: Australasian Association of Writing Programs. Retrieved from http://www.aawp.org.au/minding_the_gap_writing_across_thresholds_and_fault_lines
- Strange, S. (2012). Radical Practice? Writing Beyond "System." Encounters: place/situation/context. Presented at the AAWP 17th Annual Conference, Geelong, Victoria.Creative Writing
- Strange, S. (2014). Busface [Video installation] part of exhibition 'Unruly Orchestratoins' Belconnen Arts Centre July 2014
- Strange, S. (2013). Authors' Note I-IV. Meniscus, 1(1), 15–20.
- Strange, S. (2013). Sedimentation. Burley, (3), 59–63.
- Strange, S. (2013). This Revolution is for Display Purposes Only [Paper]. part of exhibition 'Imagine Canberra' Belconnen Arts Centre July 2013
- Strange, S. (2009), Fiveash, Overland, (197), 39-46.
- Strange, S. (2009). The Written. Heat: New Series, (20), 173–182.
- Strange, S. (2007). Gulag. The Best Australian Stories 2007, ed. Robert Drewe (pp. 327–332). Melbourne: Black Inc.
- Strange, S. (2007). The Fence. Griffith Review, 15 (Autumn), 189–195.
- Strange, S. (2007, February 3). Beyond the Fence of Memory. The Courier Mail, pp. 18–19.
- Strange, S. (2007, November 24). Escape from Reality. The Courier Mail, p. 18.
- Strange, S. (2006). Document. Strange Magazine: Postgraduate Journal of Creative Writing, 3, 105–118.
- Strange, S. (2006). French Lessons. Verandah, (21), 116–123
- Strange, S. (2005). Passion. Verandah, (20), 62–65.
- Strange, S., Hetherington, P., & Webb, J. (Eds.). (2014). Creative manoeuvres: Writing, making, being. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Strange, S. (Ed.). (2015). Creative Cities. Axon: Creative Explorations, 5(1). Retrieved from http://www.axonjournal.com.au/issue-8-1
- Strange, S., & Rozynski, K. (Eds.). (2014). The Creative Manoeuvres: Making, Saying, Being Papers – The Refereed Proceedings Of The 18th Conference Of The Australasian Association Of Writing Programs, 2013. Australasian Association of Writing Programs. Retrieved from http://www.aawp.org.au/the_creative_manoeuvres_making_saying_being_papers
- Asialink Literature Fellow, 2010
- Griffith Review / Frank Moorehouse PEN Award for an Emerging Writer - 2007