Law and Justice Internship Extended (6cp) (11268.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Internship
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.25||6||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Evaluate and report on the relationships between discipline specific theories and actual professional practice through self-directed learning;
2. Analyse discipline specific related practices and identify how these relations could be improved, including reflecting on how social and ethical issues in the workplace impact on practice;
3. Work individually and in groups to communicate their experiences both orally and in written form, with confidence and clarity; and
4. Apply practical skills, including analysis, research, problem solving and writing in a law or justice workplace to solve a real legal or justice problem or problems.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
PrerequisitesThis unit is only available to students in a Bachelor of Laws or Bachelor of Justice Studies course. Students must have passed 48 credit points before requesting enrolment in this unit. Enrolment must approved by the Unit Convener and is dependent on the availability of a suitable placement.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||30 November 2020||Internship||Mr Greg Boland|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||01 June 2021||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||29 November 2021||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2022||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
There are no compulsory textbooks to purchase. However recommended readings include:
Barbara Bassot, The Reflective Journal (Macmillan International Higher Education, 2017) (HD8038A1 B37. 2017)
Barbara Bassot, The Employability Journal (Palgrave, 2017) (HF5381.6 B38. 2017)
Daniel Susskind and Susskind R, The Future of the Professions: How Technology Will Transform The Work of Human Experts (Oxford University Press, 2017).
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
There will be drop boxes on your Canvas site where you can submit all your assessment items. If you have difficulty in adding, for example, your USB then you may submit it directly to the Unit Convener.
Participation in this unit requires you to attend all workshops and attend in the workplace for 150 hours.
Students are expected to complete the "InPlace" software application that can be found on the Canvas site or UC website for this unit. Once populated with all the relevant details the unit convenor will assess and approve if the placement is acceptable. Notification will then be generated and an email sent to both yourself and your placement Supervisor indicating this approval. There is also a Learner/Supervisor Agreement to be completed and this can be found on Canvas. Should you have any difficulties please email your Unit Convenor directly.
Required IT skills
There are no additional costs for this unit unless a "Police Check" or "Working with Minors" is required. A total of approximately $30 should cover these checks/reports if required. UC Careers can assist you should these be required.
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves an internship and therefore, additional student responsibilities are required in addition to those described in this section. Work-place learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. Client/patient confidentiality must always be maintained including for assessment items such as reports or essays. The professional nature of this unit also requires 100% participation at all learning activities (lectures, practicals etc. if scheduled – see section 3) for the successful completion of this unit (also see section 6c). If attendance requirements cannot be satisfied (e.g. timetable clash), it is recommended that you meet with your Course Convenor to schedule this unit for a future semester.
- Semester 2, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202849)
- Semester 1, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202484)
- Winter Term, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202713)
- Summer Semester, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203858)
- Semester 2, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190774)
- Winter Term, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190775)
- Semester 1, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190778)
- Summer Semester, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190776)
- Semester 2, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (189899)
- Winter Term, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190769)
- Semester 1, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184113)
- Summer Semester, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191782)