Character Design and Animation (11133.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Research, conceptualise and visualise an original character design for use in real-time or pre-rendered media;
2. Apply complex polygonal modelling and texturing techniques to realise the character in 3D;
3. Apply rigging and motion capture to animate the character; and
4. Critique professional character animation techniques and principles through analysis of games and/or animated media.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Prerequisites11130 Media Worlds.
Corequisites11131 Space, Time and Form.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Mr Lucien Leon|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Mr Henry Sun|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Dr Sam Hinton|
|2023||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Mr Henry Sun|
Texts and readings will be web-accessible and provided through links on the unit's Canvas site.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
All assignments are submitted online, and should be submitted as separate file (not zipped) unless otherwise specified.
You are encouraged to talk about submission dates with your lecturer if you have any challenges meeting deadlines. We're happy to negotiate extensions as long as you come to us with a plan.
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
Required IT skills
This is a technical unit that assumes students are familiar with basic 3D modelling using a software tool like Maya or Blender. You may still attempt this unit if you do not, but you should be aware that you will need to put in additional hours at the beginning of the unit to develop the necessary skills. Online learning tools to assist in this study will be provided on the unit Canvas site.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 2, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (208545)
- Semester 2, 2022, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (208546)
- Semester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (204239)
- Semester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199610)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193690)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190464)