Poetry and the Imagination (11117.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critique and craft language with attention to what is vivid, musical and memorable;
2. Learn by heart and recite a celebrated poem;
3. Work collaboratively in order to critique, appraise and edit poems; and
4. Reflect upon and adjust to peer critique and self-reflection of poetic work.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
Prerequisites11113 Introduction to Creative Writing.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||On-Campus||Dr Paul Magee|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Dr Owen Bullock|
Required texts — you must purchase and read these:
1 Ted Hughes and Seamus Heaney, eds, The Rattle Bag, any edition.
2 Thomas Carper and Derek Attridge, Meter and Meaning (Routledge: New York and London, 2003).
Required texts, on Canvas — you must read these:
Various poems, drafts of poems and prose reviews will be available through the "Reading List" tab to your left, as per the "Timetable of Activities" below.
Students who attend campus for class or other purposes must play their part in keeping our campus and community safe by following these basic guidelines to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission:
- Practise good hand hygiene, washing hands regularly;
- If you do happen to cough or sneeze, please do so into the crook of your elbow, dispose of tissues immediately and wash hands immediately
- Practise effective physical distancing;
- Follow all directions of teaching and other UC staff regarding safety measures;
- Stay off campus if you are unwell and get tested according to ACT Government guidelines, and
- Follow University communications about campus arrangements https://www.canberra.edu.au/coronavirus-advice
Required IT skills
The unit will make use of UC's online Canvas site. Regular access to this site is essential for completing the unit. Basic word-processing skills are also expected.
The cost of the two texts is approximately $70.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- 9308 Poetry and the Imagination.