Business, Government & Law Extended Internship (10158.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Internship
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.25||6||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Business School||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 3 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Evaluate and report on the relationships between discipline specific theories and actual professional practice through self-directed learning;
2. Analyse discipline specific related practices and identify how these relations could be improved;
3. Work individually and in groups to communicate their experiences both orally and in written form, with confidence and clarity; and
4. Demonstrate entrepreneurial skills including creativity, innovation, initiative, critical thinking, adaptability, leadership, and resourcefulness.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
PrerequisitesStudents must complete 48 credit points toward any UC degree as a pre-requisite before being considered for this unit. Enrolment in this unit must be approved by the unit convener.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||30 November 2020||Internship||Mr Greg Boland|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Internship||Dr Tom Chen|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||01 June 2021||Internship||Mr Greg Boland|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Internship||Dr Tom Chen|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||28 November 2021||Internship||Mr Greg Boland|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Internship||Dr Tom Chen|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2022||Internship||Mr Greg Boland|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Internship||Dr Tom Chen|
There are no required textbooks for this unit. However students are expected to research widely in various journals, newspapers, online and related career texts to assist with your assessment and preparation for the world of work. Theories that you have learnt throughout your degree or researched online or in scholarly journals should be revisited and incorporated into your major research report.
Recommended readings only
Bassot, B., 2016. The Reflective Journal. Macmillan International Higher Education Red Globe Press ISBN 9781137603487
Bassot, B., 2017. The Employability Journal. Palgrave Red Globe Press Ebook ISBN - 9781137603821.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
All five assessment items (including Research Report - Part A) are to be submitted to the Assignment Drop boxes in CANVAS for 10158. Please note if the Media Production assignment is too big (or too awkward) to submit via Canvas then please email it directly to the unit convener.
Specific details for each assessment item, due dates, drop boxes and marking rubrics are shown on your CANVAS website.
In summary, assessment item weightings are as follows (remember full details can be found on your dedicated CANVAS website for this unit):
1. Research Report 50% (Part A = 10% and Part B = 40%)
2. Informational Interview with Supervisor 10%
3. Reflective Journal 20%
4. Media Production (Electronic) 20%
Specific information and detailed requirements for each of the required Assignments will also be discussed in our virtual Workshops on 2nd June 2021 at 12.30pm as well as on the CANVAS website.
Use of text matching software
As previously mentioned it is essential that you make it your habit to continually check the unit's CANVAS site for workshop dates, times and information - these will be updated regularly.
Ms Poli Rogers, our Work Integrated Learning specialist from the UC Careers Office will also be available with any concerns or assistance required in obtaining an internship. You are strongly encouraged to meet virtually with Poli or the unit convener at least twice throughout your internship. Please do not hesitate to email Poli in order to make an appointment if this is easier for you (Poli.Rogers@canberra.edu.au)
This unit being 6 credit points involves an internship placement of approximately 150 hours and therefore, additional student responsibilities are required. Work-place learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. Client confidentiality must always be maintained, including for assessment items such as reports and diaries. As mentioned above participation in all learning activities on and off campus (including workshops and regular convener meetings - see Section 3) is recommended for the successful completion of this unit.
At least a week before the first day at your placement each student must complete the "InPlace" software programme which can be found on the Canvas or UC website where you will submit all details of your placement including the business name; supervisor's name, addresses, email address, dates of internship etc BEFORE your Internship commences. When approved by the unit convener an email will be sent to both you and your supervisor indicating confirmation. Further details on how to use InPlace will be given during the first virtual workshop.
Required IT skills
You are assumed to have adequate skills in the use of word processing and spread sheet programs, Internet browsers and search engines. If you feel you do not have adequate skills, please discuss the matter with the unit convener.
No additional costs beyond your travel, accommodation expenses, a police check (if required - currently approximately cost approximately $29) together with your normal unit enrolment fee are anticipated. If you are working with children you may also require a current working with children approval certificate (currently these are free for unpaid internship positions). If you require this certificate and/or a Police Check then steps involved on how to obtain these certificates can be found at www.canberra.edu.au/placement
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves an approximate 150 hour work placement completed either virtually or at your designated venue. Therefore, additional student responsibilities are required in addition to those described in this section. Work-place learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. Client/patient confidentiality must always be maintained, including for assessment items such as reports or essays. Should you experience any unprofessional behaviour during your internship please let your unit convener know as soon as possible. The professional nature of this unit also requires 100% participation at all learning activities (virtual workshops, practicals etc. if scheduled – see section 3) for the successful completion of this unit (also see section 6c). If such requirements cannot be satisfied (e.g. timetable clash), it is recommended that you meet with your Course Convener to schedule this unit for a future semester.
- Winter Term, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202756)
- Semester 1, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202592)
- Summer Semester, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (197648)
- Semester 2, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (197646)
- Winter Term, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (197655)
- Semester 1, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (197647)
- Summer Semester, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (198670)