Building Services (10147.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the need for different types of MEP systems and which type of systems are appropriate in certain building situations;
2. Recognise the implications of building design for MEP service provision including appreciation of the design and construction for high efficiency and sustainable building services;
3. Illustrate services installation including fire safety and WHS; and
4. Manage the hand-over and commissioning processes for services.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
Prerequisites7823 Building and Construction Studies 2
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Dr Larry Hu|
National Construction Code 2022, Volumes 1,2 & 3. The associated Guide Documents. All free downloads from https://ncc.abcb.gov.au/
- Fred Hall and Roger Greeno, "Building Services Handbook," 8th Edition, Routledge.
- David Bownass, ‘' Building Services Methodology'', A Practical Guide, 2000, Routledge.
- Graham Boyle. ‘' Australian Refrigeration and Air conditioning''.
Students are advised that they may be disadvantaged if they do not participate in face to face lectures and tutorials due to the complexity of the material in this unit.
Students who attend campus for class or other purposes must play their part in keeping our campus and community safe by following these basic guidelines to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission:
- Practise good hand hygiene, washing hands regularly;
- If you do happen to cough or sneeze, please do so into the crook of your elbow, dispose of tissues immediately and wash hands immediately
- Practise effective physical distancing;
- Follow all directions of teaching and other UC staff regarding safety measures;
- Stay off campus if you are unwell and get tested according to ACT Government guidelines, and
- Follow University communications about campus arrangements https://www.canberra.edu.au/coronavirus-advice.
Required IT skills
Intermediate IT skills, word processing, Microsoft package, CAD documentation.
Work placement, internships or practicums