English requirements for admission
English language proficiency requirements for admission
There are three categories in which applicants may demonstrate English language proficiency to a level that meets admission requirements, detailed below. Further information on the English language proficiency requirements is available in the HDR Admissions Policy.
The University accepts Academic IELTS, TOEFL-iBT, PTE Academic and CAE: A1 Advanced testing instruments as appropriate to the level of academic English proficiency required for HDR courses.
Minimum test scores for admission to HDR courses
|PTE Academic||CAE: C1 |
|General minimum entry requirement|
Overall ≥ 6.5Each band ≥ 6.0
Overall ≥ 79Each band ≥ 16
Overall ≥ 58
Each band ≥ 50
Overall ≥ 176
Each band ≥ 169
|PhD Clinical Psychology||Overall ≥ 7.0||Overall ≥ 94||Overall ≥ 65||Overall ≥ 185|
Temporary allowances due to COVID-19 restrictions
UC will enable the following English proficiency test arrangements until 31 January 2021.
- IELTS Indicator
- TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition
Applicants may be deemed to meet English language requirements:
If they were born in Australia, Botswana, Canada, Fiji, Ghana, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Samoa (American, Independent State), Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland), United States of America, Zambia or Zimbabwe and
- have at least one tertiary qualification from one of the countries or territories listed above; and
- the language of instruction and assessment of the qualification was English.
Applicants may be deemed to meet English language requirements if they:
- have completed two years (full time equivalent) study at Bachelor level in one of the countries listed in Category Two, where the language of instruction and assessment was English; or
- have completed a postgraduate qualification equivalent to an Australian Master degree in one of the countries listed in Category Two, where the language of instruction and assessment was English
Previous study under this category is valid as evidence of English proficiency for a period of two years from the date of completion of the qualification (to the date of application).
English language pathway programs
Applicants who have provided an English language proficiency test that does not meet the minimum standards required may be made an offer of admission conditional on English, or a packaged offer that includes admission to an Academic English course taught by University of Canberra College.