Print this page

International registration to practice overseas

If you are a Faculty of Health graduate and intending to work outside Australia, you may need to register with the relevant professional registration provider in the country/state/province in which you wish to work.

Many professions (including Nursing, Midwifery, and the Allied Health Sciences) require you to register with a professional registration provider before you are legally allowed to practice or work overseas. This helps maintain standards and ensures people working in the industry are adequately qualified.

The University of Canberra (UC) provides support to graduates who are applying for registration to practice overseas by providing necessary UC documentation. However UC is unable to advise on the requirements by the overseas professional registration providers and as such the onus is on you as a graduate to determine what is needed.

Once you have determined the requirements from the overseas registration provider, UC can assist with completing and verifying documentation for your application.

Applications are complex. The process can take up to 12 weeks to complete the UC component, which varies depending on the number of applications received and the time of year requests are made.

Please note, due to the commencement of the Academic year, UC is unable to process applications between December – February and will begin processing any applications received during this time in March at the earliest, at which point the 12 weeks will commence from the time UC acknowledges receipt of your application.

You will also need to allow additional time for the overseas registration provider to receive and process your application which can extend this timeframe. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you submit your request as early as possible.

Applying for international registration

  1. Contact the overseas registration provider and obtain their Overseas Professional Registration application.
  2. *Pay the $330 processing fee.
  3. Submit your registration application form provided by the Overseas Professional Registration Authority in editable PDF format, receipt of payment and any required supporting documentation to To speed up the process of getting your documents ready, you are encouraged to partially complete the form such as your personal details, course information and University name/address.

* If you studied at UC prior to 2010, please contact prior to paying the processing fee.

Submission process

Overseas registration providers require either:

  • UC to submit your registration application. If this is the case, you may need to provide extensive information and documentation to UC before we can start to process your form. In this instance your completed application will be sent directly to the overseas registration provider via registered post, and an electronic copy will be emailed to you for your records.
  • the graduate to submit the application. Where the registration provider indicates that the application must be sent by the graduate, UC will provide you with the documents requested and an electronic copy will be emailed to you for your records.

Please note: UC cannot guarantee that your application for overseas registration will be accepted by the overseas professional registration provider. We recommend you do your research before you commence this process with UC to ensure that you meet the overseas professional registration provider's eligibility requirements. Omission of information will delay the processing of your application.