Hinton, Asst. Prof. Sam
Assistant Professor, Media Arts & Production
Faculty of Arts & Design
Bldg, Floor & Room: 9, C1
Telephone: (02) 6201 5090
Facsimile: (02) 6201 5300
Areas of Teaching
- Web Design and Production
- Networked Media Production
- 3D Animation
- Computer games and playful media
- Cultural interfaces
- Social media
- Interactive data visualisation
- Network histories
- Social uses of mobile apps
- BA Professional Writing (University of Canberra)
- MA Prelim (Hons, Latrobe University)
- PhD (Latrobe University)
- Hinton, S. & Hjorth, L. (2013) Understanding Social Media. London: Sage.
- Hinton, S. (2011) "Cinema of the Gun: science and technology studies and the first person shooter". Global Media Convergence and Cultural Transformation. Dal Yong Jin (ed). United States: IGI Global.
- Hinton, S. (2009). "Independent Nation: the Australian Game Industry". Gaming Cultures in the Asia-Pacific Region. L. Hjorth and D. Chan (eds). Australia. Routledge.
- Hinton, S. (2005). "Critical Hits: thoughts on the political economy of game mods". Doom: Giocare in Prima Persona (Doom. The first person reader). M. Bittanti and S. Morris. Italy, Costa and Nolan.
Full written paper – refereed
- Ennis-Butler, B., Hinton, S. & Whitelaw, M (2011) "Playing with Complexity". Paper presented at ACUADS Conference, Canberra, May 2011.
- Hinton, S. and Whitelaw, M. (2010) "Visualising Complex Heritage Datasets". Paper presented at Electronic Visualisation and Arts conference London, July 4-6.
- Fitzgerald, R.N., Barass, S.,Bruns, A.,Campbel, J.,Miles, A., Hinton, S.,Whitelaw, M. & Ryan, Y. (2007). Digital Learning Communities (DLC): Investigating the application of social software to support networked learning. Poster presented at ED-MEDIA 2007--World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications, Vancouver, Canada.
- "The Reconstruction of AARNet" presented at the Association of Internet Researcher's Conference 2006, Brisbane Hilton Hotel, Brisbane, September 2006.
Full written paper – non refereed
- "Academia Meets Industry" presented at the Game Connect Asia Pacific 2008, Brisbane, December 2008.
- "Reprojecting Australia" presented at Unaustralia: the Cultural Studies of Australia Conference 2006, University of Canberra, Canberra, December 2006.
- "The Role of AARNet in Australian Internet History" presented at the Internet Histories 2: Australia and the Asia-Pacific workshop, State Library of Western Australia, Perth, June 2006.
- Hinton, S and Whitelaw, M. (2010) Flickr Commons Explorer
- Hinton, S. (2010) ElectionTwits
- Frozen Sands, LLC. (1999-2004) Urban Terror (Quake 3 mod)
Representation of original art
- Videospatial (series of 4 digital prints). Photo/not photo exhibition. Canberra, 11 July – 17 July, 2008
- Fitzgerald, R.N., Steele, J., Bruns, A., Miles, A., Barrass, S., Campbell, J., Hinton, S., McGinness, N., Whitelaw, M. & Ryan, Y. (2008). Digital learning communities (DLC): Investigating the application of social software to support networked learning.
- Final Project Report to the Australian Learning and Teaching Council. University of Canberra. ISBN: 978-1-74088-296-5.
Interactive Visualisation of Australian Prints and Printmaking $10,000 (C2) 2011
Remix, Mashup, Share: Authentic Web 2.0 Assessment Scenarios and Criteria for Interactive Media, Games and Digital Design (administered via Murdoch University) $26,321 (C3) 2009-2011
- 2011 Vice Chancellor’s Teaching Commendation
- 1999 – 2002 Australian Postgraduate Award