Prepare to arrive
Get organised before starting life as an international student at UC! Once you've received your visa, it's time to start to planning your move to Canberra! The information below will help you get started.
- Be sure to understand your visa and it's conditions.
- Remember to check Australian Customs and Quarantine information.
- Ensure that your accommodation has been arranged.
- Be sure to book the free International Pick-up Service from Canberra Airport or Canberra Bus Depot.
- Scan and make soft copies of all your important documents including your passport, visa etc.
- Research a little more about living in Australia and it's safe and friendly capital city, Canberra!
After arrival & settling in:
International student visa holders are required to attend Orientation. Further to ensuring that you are enrolled correctly, your Orientation provides students with the opportunity to get to know the UC campus, how the University works and allows you to get to know fellow students and staff members. More importantly, it's an opportunity to have fun!
- Attend the International Orientation that will be held in the week before you commence your studies.
- Attend your Faculty Course Advisory Session that will be held during the Orientation. They provide important information regarding your course!
- Activate your UC student email account.
- Update your contact and emergency details via your MyUC Portal.
- Register your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Policy and access your e-membership card with Allianz Global Assistance (if you've selected UC to arrange OSHC for you).
If you are unable to attend Orientation Week, please follow the below steps to make sure you are prepared to commence your studies:
Step 1: Course advice & approvals
If you have missed your course advice session, please make your way to our Student Centre (location: Student Central - Building 1, Level B) for assistance.
Please note: student visa holders arriving after Monday of Week 2 of a given teaching period (Semester, Term or Module), will need to get appropriate UC approval to commence their studies. For further information on the process, please contact the International Student Support Service.
Step 2: Password & MyUC Portal access
Once you arrive at the Student Centre, a staff member will provide you with a password to log into MyUC. Alternatively, you can ring our Service Desk on 02 6201 5500 for assistance over the phone.
Use your new password to login to MyUC. Once logged in you will be able to:
- Enrol in units
- Sign up for tutorials
- Activate your student email account.
Step 3: Enrolment
Step 4: Student ID card
After you have successfully enrolled into your units, you may obtain a student ID card from the Student Centre. Please ensure you bring photo ID with you when requesting your student card. If you lose or damage your ID card, you will need to pay a $15 replacement fee. ID cards are issued for personal use only and should be kept secure. Any abuse of the access levels provided by ID cards could jeopardise your continued study at the University.
Note: Student ID cards are required to attend exams, borrow from the library or to access any facility requiring a proximity card, including e-permit parking.