The role of the Council Secretariat is to promote good governance and provide a high level of support to Council and its committees. This includes:
- providing executive support to the Chancellor and Deputy Chancellor;
- providing support to the advisory committees of Council;
- facilitating the induction of new Council members on the advice of the Chancellor;
- considering any relevant legislation and policies relating to agenda items;
- coordinating the production and distribution of Council papers;
- assisting with the agenda setting and consulting over meeting minutes;
- ensuring Council meets its statutory obligations in relation to financial statements, reporting and governance protocols;
- ensuring the Chancellor is briefed in relation to any matters of potential conflict between the Council and the University; and
- obtaining legal advice required by Council and advising it about policy and procedural matters.
General Counsel & University Secretary — Eric Wells
Contact: (02) 6201 2026
Minute Secretary - Helen Vooren
Contact: (02) 6201 2613
A template is provided to assist with the preparation of agenda items. The rules for submission are as follows:
- All papers should highlight the key issues in a summary, which provides enough information to Council/Committee to enable them to understand the issues.
- Papers should be a maximum of five pages. Any supporting documents should be provided as attachments, and if possible, not exceed 10 pages.
- Papers must be received by the Secretariat eight working days prior to the meeting.
- Papers should not include page numbers.