Advanced Topics in International Studies (9994.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Communication And Media||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will have demonstrated their ability to
1. Critically understand the topics in international studies dealt with in the unit;
2. Acquire and critically evaluate relevant information from the published literature;
3. Argue effectively for a point of view in a way that is informed by research-based evidence and logical reasoning;
4. Synthesise information in a systematic and logical manner; and
5. Communicate their findings and/or arguments clearly and effectively.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Prerequisites24cp of study
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
All required readings will be available via the unit Canvas site.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
Extension Policy for all Assessment Items
This supplements the above:
1. You must contact the unit convenor to get approval for an extension before the due date (unless the situation makes this demand unreasonable).
2. The unit convenor can grant you up to two (2) calendar days' extension with no documentation required. For this, I will require an assurance from you that (a) you have made a reasonable attempt to complete the assessment item, and (b) something unexpected has delayed you.
3. If you require more than two (2) calendar days' extension, then you will need to supply the unit convenor with appropriate documentation, such as a medical certificate, or counsellor's certificate. This documentation needs to be provided when you make your request for an extension.
4. If the assessment item is submitted after the due date and time without an approved extension, then (as per the UC assessment policy) it will be subject to a late penalty of 5% per calendar day (or part thereof). If it is submitted more than 7 days late it will receive a mark of zero. These penalties are harsh and I do not enjoy applying them; so if you think you are running into serious difficulties with getting your assessment item completed on time, please contact me at once rather than leaving it until it is too late.
Participation in tutorials will provide you with the necessary skills to complete the assessment tasks to a high level.
Required IT skills
Basic word-processing skills. You will also need to be able to make effective use of both the internet, and the library's databases and e-journals, for research purposes.
Work placement, internships or practicums