Cross-Cultural Professional Practice (9855.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Sport And Exercise Science||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Participate in a cross-cultural professional setting and apply previously gained skills and knowledge;
2. Critically analyse and articulate the contextual influences that inform both similarities and differences between cultural settings;
3. Demonstrate enhanced cultural intelligence through engagement with diverse professionals and peers; and
4. Demonstrate ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with people whose attitudes, values, knowledge and skills may be significantly different from their own.
Graduate attributes2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
This unit is based on an international experience you will embark on as part of a Faculty Study Tour (FST) or other similar opportunities. During COVID-19 border closures a limited number of virtual overseas placements are offered.
As such, your program leader will set up the required assignments for you to successfully complete this unit.
If you do not have a program leader and you are unsure about your assignments for this unit, please contact the unit convenor so she can guide you through it (firstname.lastname@example.org).
PrerequisitesMust have passed 48 credit points and permission of the Unit Convener.
CorequisitesMust be in a Faculty-led program.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||30 November 2020||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||01 June 2021||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||29 November 2021||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2022||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
Students will be advised by their program leaders about the most suitable reading they can do for each international program.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
The specific grading for the unit, number of assignments and weighting of each assignment will be determined and confirmed by the program leaders ahead of your international study tour. All international tours or study abroad programs have a different focus, comprise of different activities and range from 2 to 4 weeks. All these factors will determine the appropriateness of the assignments you will need to complete in order to obtain a grade for this unit. If you do not have a program leader or are undertaking an international program that is outside the scope of the faculty led programs, please contact the unit convenor as soon as possible.
Special assessment requirements
To pass this unit students will be required to (at the discretion of the program leader):
- Submit all assessment items; and
- Attain at least 50% as a total grade.
Supplementary assessment might be available at the discretion of the program leader or unit convenor.
Required IT skills
Virtual Placements require use of virtual platforms and may require video skills
The only cost involved in this unit is that related to the overseas program you are taking.
Work placement, internships or practicums
As a University of Canberra student, you are expected to comply with the University's rules and codes, for further information visit https://www.canberra.edu.au/current-students/study-abroad
- Semester 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (201716)
- Winter Term, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (201187)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (200618)
- Summer Semester, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (197089)
- Semester 1, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193291)
- Summer Semester, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (187988)
- Semester 2, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (188464)
- Winter Term, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (189635)
- Semester 1, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (189081)
- Semester 2, 2018, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (180259)
- Winter Term, 2018, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (180636)
- Summer Semester, 2018, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (180684)
- Semester 2, 2017, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (174059)
- Winter Term, 2017, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (164499)
- Summer Semester, 2017, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (163459)
- Winter Term, 2016, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (152598)
- Semester 2, 2015, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (149728)