Virtual Environments (9755.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Analyse and review contemporary virtual environment designs;
2. Discover a variety of applications for virtual environment designs;
3. Design a 3D virtual environment that effectively communicates a simulation scenario or narrative;
4. Construct a 3D virtual environment that responds to a simulation scenario or narrative; and
5. Evaluate the effectiveness of a variety of virtual environments.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
- Jerald, J. (2015). The VR book: Human-centered design for virtual reality. Morgan & Claypool.
- Ahearn, L. (2017). 3D Game Environments: Create Professional 3D Game Worlds. CRC Press.
- Stankovi¿, S. (2015). Virtual Reality and Virtual Environments in 10 lectures. Synthesis Lectures on Image, Video, and Multimedia Processing, 18(3), 1-197.
- Tricart, C. (2017). Virtual reality filmmaking: Techniques & best practices for VR filmmakers. Taylor & Francis.
- Bryant, R., & Giglio, K. (2015). Slay the Dragon: Writing Great Video Games. Michael Wiese Productions.
- Skolnick, E. (2014). Video Game Storytelling: What Every Developer Needs to Know About Narrative Techniques. Watson-Guptill Publications.
- Dille, F., & Platten, J. Z. (2007). The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design. Lone Eagle Publishing Company.
- Solarski, C. (2017). Interactive stories and video game art: A storytelling framework for game design. CRC Press.
Students should endeavour to maintain at least 80% attendance for all lectures and tutorials, whether they are virtual or face-toface. Lectures and tutorials are designed to scaffold student learning and assist students to complete their Assignment tasks. If there is a legitimate reason for an absence, then the lecturer should be emailed as a courtesy to explain the absence.
Students who attend campus for class or other purposes must play their part in keeping our campus and community safe by following these basic guidelines to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission:
- Practise good hand hygiene, washing hands regularly;
- If you do happen to cough or sneeze, please do so into the crook of your elbow, dispose of tissues immediately and wash hands immediately
- Practise effective physical distancing;
- Follow all directions of teaching and other UC staff regarding safety measures;
- Stay off campus if you are unwell and get tested according to QLD Government guidelines, and
- Follow University communications about campus arrangements https://www.canberra.edu.au/coronavirus-advice
Additionally, students are expected to engage in an additional 4-7hrs of work per week for the unit, which excludes the lectures and tutorials (approximately 80hrs over a semester).
Required IT skills
This unit assumes IT and media production skills in line with the prerequisite units. Students should be comfortable designing, developing and producing digital media in a range of forms.
Work placement, internships or practicums