Advanced Real-Time Production (9747.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
This unit aims to expose students to the theoretical and practical knowledge required to create advanced 3D real-time productions. Participants will gain insight into contemporary production methodology and techniques that are required by artists to create appealing environments.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply appropriate production methodologies in the construction and assembly of real time 3D projects;
2. Prepare 3D assets, animation and environment effects for use in real time projects;
3. Create advanced texturing, lighting and virtual camera solutions for real time environments;
4. Construct a project that demonstrates appropriate application of advanced real time environment creation techniques; and
5. Implement and describe an effective real time production pipeline.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
- Novak, J. (2007). Game Development Essentials: An Introduction (2nd Edition). Thomson Delmar/Cengage.
- Ahearn L. (2008). 3D Game Environments, Create Professional 3D Game Worlds. Focal Press.
- Edge Staff. (2008). A Brief History of 3D, October 26 2008. http://www.edge-online.com
- Akenine-Möller, T., Haines, E., Hoffman, N., (2008). Real-Time Rendering 3rd Edition. A. K. Peters, Ltd., Natick, MA, USA.
- Kerlow, I.V., (2009). The art of 3D computer animation and effects. John Wiley & Sons
- Omernick, M. (2004). Creating the Art of the Game. New Riders.
Students are expected to maintain at least 80% attendance. There is a significant link between a student's attendance / participation, and the quality of their learning outcomes demonstrated by the submitted assessable project components.
Please advise the Unit Convener (by email) in advance if you are unable to attend a particular class or studio.
Required IT skills
This unit assumes IT and media production skills in line with the prerequisite units. Students should be comfortable designing, developing and producing digital media in a range of forms.
Work placement, internships or practicums