Social Research Design PG (9684.3)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.25||6||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Post Graduate Level|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesOn completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the main characteristics of quantitative, qualitative and mixed-model methods of social research;
2. Critically interrogate key research studies in social scientific research;
3. Critically analyse published social journals, government publications and professional practice;
4. Appreciate the social, cultural and political contexts of social research in professional practice;
5. Apply appropriate theories and methodologies to identify communication problem-solving processes, and implement and evaluate research based social scientific methodologies; and
6. Develop a high-level awareness of the constraints on ethical professional practice in the area of research.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
PrerequisitesAdmission to the Master of Applied Arts and Design (Research) or permission of the unit convener.
Incompatible units7574 Advanced Communication Theory and Research PG.
Equivalent units7574 Advanced Communication Theory and Research PG AND 9111 Social Research PG.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
Textbook & Resources. The unit is supported by a textbook and the Oxford University Press website.
Required textbook: Bryman, A. (2016). Social research methods. (either 4th or 5th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Available at UC Library Short Loan)
Required IT skills
Academic database search and use of reference software, basic Word/Excel and Canvas.
Work placement, internships or practicums