Design History (9483.3)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a concise understanding of how design has evolved in historical and theoretical terms; and
2. Understand the impact of technological and aesthetic developments on design ideas.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
Incompatible units8418 Design History AND 7201 Design History.
Equivalent units8418 Design History.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
See Canvas site.
Students who attend campus for class or other purposes must play their part in keeping our campus and community safe by following these basic guidelines to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission:
- Practise good hand hygiene, washing hands regularly;
- If you do happen to cough or sneeze, please do so into the crook of your elbow, dispose of tissues immediately and wash hands immediately
- Practise effective physical distancing;
- Follow all directions of teaching and other UC staff regarding safety measures;
- Stay off campus if you are unwell and get tested according to Queensland Government guidelines, and
- Follow TAFE Queensland communications for current health and campus advice https://tafeqld.edu.au/current-students/health-advice.html?
Required IT skills
Students require general computing skills in applications such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and basic internet search capability.
Relevant costs associated to the development a design homage maquette.
Plus to effectively participate in this unit students are required to have the following:
1 A4 CANSON Visual art diary or similar
Artline 231 Technical Drawing Pens (various thickness – at least 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5) *https://www.eckersleys.com.au/products/design/technical-design/pens-markers/artline-231-marker
1 set of STAEDTLER MARS LUMOGRAPH graphite pencils (various leads 6B to 2H) 6 or 12 set.
1 set of coloured pencils (good quality art pencil)
An assortment of coloured markers COPIC or other *https://www.eckersleys.com.au/products/copic/markers/copic-ciao-markers
1 x A2 or larger cardboard (at least 350gsm) or *https://www.eckersleys.com.au/products/art/boards/coloured-board/canson-mount-board
This unit requires students to print in large sizes for assessments. This may require students to print off-campus at a commercial printer. It is therefore highly recommended that students plan when they will print ahead of the submission date. Costs of printing will vary, and students should plan for this also.
* Not an endorsed retailer, web links provide examples of products only.
Work placement, internships or practicums
See Canvas for any additional information.