Indigenous History and Identity (9467.2)
|Available teaching periods
|View teaching periods
|Faculty Of Arts And Design
|Discipline Of Creative And Cultural Practice
|Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit
| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
1. Discuss Indigenous Australians pre and post-colonial social organisations;
2. Identify the multi-dimensional effects of colonisation on Indigenous societies and economies and past and present government policies and their effects on Indigenous organisation and communities;
3. Analyse the nature of representation of Indigenous Australian historically and in the present; and
4. Critique the role that western academic disciplines have played in these representations.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Incompatible units6536 Indigenous History and Self Expression.
Equivalent units6536 Indigenous History and Self Expression.
|Teaching start date
There is no required textbook for this unit.
Readings will be placed on the UCLearning (Canvas) teaching site.
Students are encouraged to read and research widely in the Library - both books and electronic resources.
Students are required to attend a three hour site visit on Monday 26 March from 9.30am -12 noon.
Required IT skills
Students participating in the unit online will need access to a computer and relaible internet connection.
All students must access the UCLearn site regularly for updates about the unit and additional readings and resources, and students must be upload their work in appropriate formats.
Work placement, internships or practicums
Site visit with Indigenous ranger.