People, Place and the Past (8948.3)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Creative And Cultural Practice||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesOn completion of this unit the student will be able to:
1. identify major epochs and themes in human history and the places that represent them;
2. analyse concepts of cultural heritage significance;
3. compare a range of approaches to world history.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Equivalent units7966 A Brief History of Civilisation
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
The required textbook is World History: Journeys from Past to Present by Candice Goucher and Linda Walton, Routledge (2013).
It is available from the Co-op Bookshop and a there is also a free e-book available for download through the University of Canberra library catalogue.
It is a general text book and you will be required to undertake broader library research for your assignments.
World Heritage List (http://whc.unesco.org) is the official list of WH sites, listed by country. Attached documentation includes the reasons for listing, photographs and reports.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
Students who are unable to complete the online quiz at the designated time, and who have documentation of their inability, as described above, can apply to their lecturer to discuss later access to the quiz.
Students are expected to participate in lectures and complete tutorial exercises to achieve the learning outcomes set out above. You are expected to complete weekly readings and you are also expected to watch the weekly lectures. Tutorials are asynchronous, and you are expected to complete a set of tutorial exercises in your own time (these are not graded). These will be made available on a page within the unit UCLearn (Canvas) site each week. You are also strongly encouraged to discuss these activities with your peers in the UCLearn (Canvas) forum and elsewhere. Completing these exercises will strongly assist with your overall comprehension of the course content and concepts.
Students are expected to access UCLearn (Canvas) regularly (at least several times each week) for readings and any updates to unit activities or resources.
Required IT skills
All assignments are to be prepared on suitable software such as Word and illustrations should be incorporated in the assignment file. Assignments are to be uploaded to UCLearn (Canvas). Students are also expected to conduct library and online searches and to use the Canvas site. You also need to be able to use email.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Winter Term, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (177646)
- Winter Term, 2018, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (177568)
- Semester 1, 2018, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (176554)
- Semester 1, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (176553)
- Winter Term, 2017, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (164791)
- Semester 1, 2017, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (165321)
- Winter Term, 2016, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (161713)