Research in Creative Arts and Design H (8900.4)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Undergraduate Honours Level|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the fundamental epistemological, methodological, and ethical issues involved in undertaking research in design or the creative arts at the Honours level;
2. Reflect critically upon their own research approach, and place it within its broader theoretical context; and
3. Demonstrate skills in, and understanding of, the process of undertaking research in design or the creative arts.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
CorequisitesStudents must be enrolled in 298JA Bachelor of Arts and Design (Honours) OR 355JA Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (Honours) OR 922AA Bachelor of Arts (Honours).
Incompatible unitsRestrictions: This unit is not open to students who have passed 7537 Creative Research: Theory and Practice PG.
Equivalent units7537 Creative Research: Theory and Practice PG
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Dr John Dahlsen|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Dr Paul Magee|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Dr John Dahlsen|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr Paul Magee|
|2023||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr John Dahlsen|
|2023||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Dr John Dahlsen|
Required tutorial readings – you must read these
1) Weekly readings accessible via the unit's Reading List
Please see the list of weekly readings in the timetable of activities below, and in our reading list, to the left.
2) Jenny L. Davis, How Artifacts Afford: The Power and Politics of Everyday Things (MIT Press, 2020).
We wil read roughly half of Davis's book in class and you are recommended to read the whole. It will be available as an e-book for loan via the UC library:
Use the "E-book Central" link, which allows us unlimited access, in preference to the "Ebsco Host" one, which requires an additional password and is limited to one copy. You can also obtain the text in hard-back or e-book via various online sources listed at: https://www.penguin.com.au/books/how-artifacts-afford-9780262044110
There is a significant link between a student's attendance/participation, and the quality of their learning outcomes demonstrated by the submitted assessable components. Regular attendance/participation is expected.
Please advise the Unit Convener (by email) in advance if you are unable to attend a particular class.
Required IT skills
General computing skills are required.
For set text, as detailed above.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206595)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (206596)
- Semester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (209295)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199340)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (199341)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194290)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (194291)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191216)