Curriculum, Pedagogy and Practice 3 (ECP) (8857.2)
|Available teaching periods
|View teaching periods
|Faculty Of Education, Science, Technology & Maths
|Academic Program Area - Education
|Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit
| Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
This unit provides a basis for professional decision-making in classroom practice in the nominated curriculum area teaching years P-6. The focus of the minimum 15 days of supervised professional experience is to further develop teacher knowledge, skills and attitudes through immersion in the school setting with a particular focus on the use of curriculum, assessment and reporting knowledge.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to demonstrate:
1. An understanding of assessment strategies, including informal and formal, diagnostic, formative and summative approaches to assess student learning;
2. An understanding of the purpose of providing timely and appropriate feedback to students about their learning;
3. An understanding of assessment moderation and its application;
4. The capacity to interpret student assessment data to evaluate student learning and modify teaching practice;
5. An understanding of a range of strategies for reporting to students and parents/carers and the purpose of keeping accurate and reliable records; and
6. A broad knowledge of strategies that can be used to evaluate teaching programs to improve student learning.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
PrerequisitesCompletion of 24 credit points and 8839 Curriculum Pedagogy and Practice 1 ECP
CorequisitesEnrolment in a Teaching course.
Incompatible unitsThis unit is not open to students who have passed any other Curriculum Pedagogy and Practice 3 unit.
Assumed knowledgeMinimum of 2 content units in a Key Learning Area of the Australian Curriculum.
|Teaching start date
Griffin, P. (Ed.). (2014). Assessment for teaching. Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
Wiggins, G., & McTighe, J. (2011). The Understanding by Design guide to creatiing high-quality units. Alexandria, VA: ASCD
Wiliam, D. (2011). Embedded formative assessment. Moorabin, Vic: Hawker Brownlow Education
The workload for this unit is half that of a normal unit due to the professional experience component. In addition to the hours of face-to-face contact, reading and preparation hours are expected, along with preparation hours toward the two assessment tasks.
Attendance at all scheduled sessions in this unit is compulsory and absences could result in a fail. All absences need to be supported by appropriate documentation (e.g. medical certificate).
Successful engagement with all learning activities in this accredited Initial Teacher Education course is necessary to demonstrate that you have met the Graduate career stage of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (AITSL, 2011).
It is recognised that sometimes absence is unavoidable. If you are absent for more than two sessions, however, your engagement with the unit could be considered unsatisfactory.
Required IT skills
You need to use Mahara to build your portfolio.
Work placement, internships or practicums
Successful completion of the professional experience placement is critical to success in the whole unit. Students must make themselves familiar with the processes and policies of professional experience available on the All Teacher Education Moodle site.
Please follow these instructions to ensure your Unit Convenor remains informed of your progress in your negotiated placement:
- Fill in the Professional Experience Placement Planner in collaboration with your school mentor. (This can be found on the CPP3 Moodle site and the All Teacher Education Moodle site). Indicate on the planner when your Interim and Final Report will be completed;
- Upload your Planner, as a draft, to this Moodle site using the drop-box;
- If your proposed schedule for the completion of your interim and Final Report changes, please upload a new Planner with the new dates.
This unit involves work placements hence it requires strict adherence to professional practice and principles and ethics. School, student, and/or research participant confidentiality must always be maintained, including for assessment items like reports or essays etc.