Health Psychology and Behaviour (8736.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Psychology||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 1 2021 (Pg Clinical Psychology)
Band 2 2021 (Prof Pathway Psychology-After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Prof Pathway Psychology-Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Standard Course Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 4 2021 (Standard Course Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Articulate the relationship between psychology, behaviour and health;
2. Trace the development of health and illness approaches;
3. Identify and critically discuss the biological, psychological, and social factors and processes influencing health and illness;
4. Apply the key theories and research approaches employed in health psychology; and
5. Design and evaluate health promotion strategies.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Prerequisites4309 Psychology 101 OR
4310 Psychology 102 OR
11399 Understanding People and Behavior OR
10444 Foundations of Psychology
Incompatible units9830 Psychology for Health Professionals
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Flexible||Dr Petra Buergelt|
Morrison, V., Bennett, P., Butow, P., Mullan, B., & Sharpe, L. (2019). An introduction to health psychology eBook (3rd ed.). Pearson.
This text wil be freely available to all students via the unit Canvas site.
The required readings for the second half of the unit will be provided on the CANVAS site.
- reading the textbook and provided journal articles and chapters
- weekly 3h ZOOM lectures and workshops, CANVAS modules and critical reflections tasks, questions and riddles AND
- assessment tasks
Required IT skills
This unit involves online lectures and workshops using ZOOM. This delivery format allows you to interact in real time with your lecturer and other students. To participate verbally, rather than just typing, you will need a microphone. For best audio quality we recommend a microphone and speaker headset.
Work placement, internships or practicums