Sports Nutrition (8721.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Nutrition And Dietetics||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Interpret how the physiological response to exercise affects nutritional requirements;
2. Interpret data to assess body composition changes in elite athletes;
3. Evaluate dietary strategies to influence the health and performance of elite and recreational athletes;
4. Select and implement evidence-based dietary interventions to benefit the health and performance of elite and recreational athletes; and
5. Communicate sports nutrition advice accurately and effectively to non-specialist audiences.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
Prerequisites9280 Introductory Nutrition
Assumed knowledgeHuman physiology and human nutrition.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Michelle Minehan|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Dr Michelle Minehan|
There are no essential text books for Sports Nutrition. Students will be directed to required reading via Canvas.
The following texts are suitable if you need to supplement your learning. These are available in the UC library.
- Burke L and Deakin V, Clinical Sports Nutrition, 5th edition, McGraw-Hill Education, North Ryde, NSW, 2015. https://canberra.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma991001837809703996&context=L&vid=61ARL_CNB:61ARL_CNB&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&isFrbr=true&tab=Everything&lang=en
- Bean A, The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition, Bloomsbury, London, 2013. https://canberra.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma991000052959703996&context=L&vid=61ARL_CNB:61ARL_CNB&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&isFrbr=true&tab=Everything&lang=en
- Cardwell G. Gold Medal Nutrition, 5th Edition, Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 2012. https://canberra.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=pq_ebook_centralEBC3011938&context=PC&vid=61ARL_CNB:61ARL_CNB&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&tab=Everything&lang=en
- Jeukendrup A and Gleeson M, Sport Nutrition, 3rd edition, Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, 2019. https://canberra.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma991002301909703996&context=L&vid=61ARL_CNB:61ARL_CNB&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&tab=Everything&lang=en
- Whitney E et al. Understanding Nutrition, Australian and New Zealand Edition, Cengage Learning Australia Pty Ltd, Melbourne, 2010. https://canberra.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma991002370719703996&context=L&vid=61ARL_CNB:61ARL_CNB&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&isFrbr=true&tab=Everything&lang=en
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
Moderation of Assessment
This unit will be moderated as per Faculty of Health Moderation Guidelines. A copy is available via Canvas.
Repeat students are required to comply with the unit requirements to pass the unit. Marks from a previous attempt at Sports Nutrition cannot be carried over to a subsequent attempt.
Special assessment requirements
To pass the unit, students must:
- complete the Endurance Competition Plan and Recovery Drink Report
- attain at least 50 marks overall
Students will not be able to resubmit assignments.
Required IT skills
Students are required to submit typed assignments and complete online quizzes. Dietary analysis software will be used for some tutorials. Further instructions will be provided on Canvas and in tutorials.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (200830)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (198635)
- Semester 2, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (188348)
- Semester 2, 2018, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (180124)
- Semester 2, 2017, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (164222)
- Semester 2, 2016, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (151259)
- Semester 2, 2015, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (139542)