Information Technology for the Workplace G (8520.3)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Online
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Science And Technology|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Academic Program Area - Technology||Graduate Level|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
This unit will be co-taught with unit 6587 Information Technology for the Workplace.
Learning outcomesOn successfully completing the unit, student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a sound understanding of, and have gained hands-on experience in, how computer systems work and how they connect to the network at the workplace and the internet;
2. Demonstrate a broad understanding of the day-to-day aspects of computer security;
3. Use application software, including desktop processing software, (For e.g.Office Productivity Software Suite);
4. Perform basic image editing;
5. Generate websites using Web 2.0 technology (blogs, wiki, file/data sharing);
6. Use contemporary mobile computing and communication platforms;
7. Review and synthesise different cloud computing application;
8. Perform basic computer administration tasks;
9. Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between proprietary and open source IT solutions; and
10. Develop an understanding of cloud computing based application software for workplace.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
Incompatible units6587 Information Technology for the Workplace.
Assumed knowledgeBasic working knowledge of how to use a computer.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Online||Dr Sumaira Qureshi|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Online||Dr Sumaira Qureshi|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Online||Dr Sumaira Qureshi|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Online||Dr Sumaira Qureshi|
Unit Workload (approximate)
|2 hours/week (11 weeks)||
Workshops (online lab attendance)
|2 hours/week (5 weeks)||
|Workshops (online videos) - students to watch in their own time||2 hours/week (6 weeks)||12|
Weekly study commitments in addition to the 3 items above
|3 hours/week (12 weeks)||
|preparing and submitting the assignment||20|
|preparing and submitting the assignment||20|
4 online quizzes
|each with 2 hour preparation, 1 hour quiz||
|preparing and submitting the assessment||
Inclusion and engagement
Your participation in online activities will enhance your understanding of the unit content and therefore the quality of your assessment responses. Lack of participation may result in your inability to satisfactorily pass assessment items.
As described in detail in 5b, A score of at least 40% on the final assessment is required to pass the unit.
Required IT skills
Ability to use a computer, including managing files, running programs, and browsing the internet.
This unit involves online meetings in real time using the Virtual Room in your UCLearn teaching site. The Virtual Room allows you to communicate in real time with your lecturer and other students. To participate verbally, rather than just typing, you will need a microphone. For best audio quality we recommend a microphone and speaker headset. For more information and to test your computer, go to the Virtual Room in your UCLearn site and 'Join Course Room'. This will trigger a tutorial to help familiarise you with the functionality of the virtual room.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2022, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (205824)
- Semester 2, 2021, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202188)
- Winter Term, 2021, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (201294)
- Semester 1, 2021, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (200426)
- Semester 2, 2020, Online, UC - Canberra, Online (203289)
- Semester 2, 2020, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195647)
- Winter Term, 2020, Online, UC - Canberra, Online (203290)
- Winter Term, 2020, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194940)
- Semester 1, 2020, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194224)
- Semester 2, 2019, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (185394)
- Winter Term, 2019, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (185630)
- Semester 1, 2019, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (185111)
- Semester 2, 2018, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (182299)
- Winter Term, 2018, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (183372)
- Semester 1, 2018, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (183315)