Cross-Media Production (7879.6)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
UC - TAFE Queensland, Coomera
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. A critical understanding of the practice and theory of cross-media production;
2. An ability to select and integrate media forms and elements appropriate to a cross-media project;
3. An ability to design a media project for an active, participatory audience; and
4. An ability to work collaboratively to develop a cross-media product.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
PrerequisitesA minimum of 12 credit points from the Advanced Media Arts major (Restricted), or a completed minor in Media Arts. For students enrolled in courses delivered at UC Melbourne, the pre-requisites are 7881 Networked Media Production and 8178 Web Design and Production.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Reza Ryan|
|2021||UC - TAFE Queensland, Coomera||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Joel Bennett|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, Coomera||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Dr Reza Ryan|
- Henry Jenkins, "Searching for the Origami Unicorn: The Matrix and Transmedia Storytelling" in Convergence Culture (New York: New York University Press, 2006) 93-130. Available via LearnOnline.
- Henry Jenkins, "Transmedia Storytelling 101" Confessions of an Aca-Fan (March 2007). Available: http://www.henryjenkins.org/2007/03/transmedia_storytelling_101.html
- Henry Jenkins, "The Revenge of the Origami Unicorn" (December 2009) Part 1: http://henryjenkins.org/2009/12/the_revenge_of_the_origami_uni.html Part 2: http://henryjenkins.org/2009/12/revenge_of_the_origami_unicorn.html
- Christy Dena, "The Who, What, When, Where, Why and How of Cross-Media" Presentation for www.DIYDays.com, July 2008. Available: http://www.slideshare.net/christydena/the-who-what-when-where-why-and-how-of-crossmedia
- Gary Hayes, "Cross-Media – What Audiences Want" Peronalizemedia.com (November 2006). Available: http://www.personalizemedia.com/cross-media-what-audiences-want/
Students should endeavour to maintain at least 80% attendance for all lectures and tutorials. Lectures and tutorials are designed to scaffold student learning and assist students to complete their Assignment tasks. If there is a legitimate reason for an absence, then the lecturer should be emailed as a courtesy to explain the absence.
Additionally, students are expected to engage in an additional 4-7hrs of work per week for the unit, which excludes the lectures and tutorials (approximately 80hrs over a semester).
Required IT skills
This unit assumes IT and media production skills in line with the prerequisite units. Students should be comfortable designing, developing and producing digital media in a range of forms.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Coomera (199332)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (199331)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (194269)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Coomera (194270)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Coomera (191136)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (191135)