Student Law Internship (7053.5)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the practice of law within a legal environment;
2. Demonstrate how practical skills such as legal analysis, research and writing are put to use;
3. Demonstrate an ability to apply theoretical knowledge to legal problem solving; and
4. Reflect and think about how social or ethical issues of the workplace impact on the practice of law.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
In addition to the graduate attributes listed above, completion of this unit will ideally have increased students’ exposure to the real world of legal or law-related practice, helped students develop critically-important interviewing and analysis skills, and assisted students to identify how theory may not always map well onto actual practice.
PrerequisitesPermission of the unit convenor
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
Students must attend at the workplace, for at least 80 hours, during their internship.
Students are also required to attend the seminars.
Required IT skills
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves a internship and therefore, additional student responsibilities are required in addition to those described in this section. Work-place learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. Client/patient confidentiality must always be maintained, including for assessment items such as reports or essays. The professional nature of this unit also requires 100% participation at all learning activities (lectures, practicals etc. if scheduled – see section 3) for the successful completion of this unit (also see section 6c). If attendance requirements cannot be satisfied (e.g. timetable clash), it is recommended that you meet with your Course Convener to schedule this unit for a future semester.
- Semester 2, 2018, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (179410)
- Winter Term, 2018, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (178897)
- Semester 1, 2018, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (178174)
- Summer Semester, 2018, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (175313)
- Semester 2, 2017, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (167611)
- Winter Term, 2017, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (167807)
- Semester 1, 2017, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (167089)
- Semester 2, 2016, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (151651)
- Winter Term, 2016, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (152509)
- Semester 1, 2016, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (154839)
- Summer Semester, 2016, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (149894)
- Semester 1, 2015, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (145924)