|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Education, Science, Technology & Maths|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Academic Program Area - Science||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomes1. Describe key processes involved in the inheritance and expression of genes;
2. Analyse biological problems and interpret them in terms of genetic concepts and principles;
3. Achieve an appreciation of recombinant DNA technologies in modern genetics;
4. Apply some qualitative and quantitative methods to themes in genetics;
5. Understand roles for inheritance/genetic mechanisms in human health and disease;
6. Consider ethical issues associated with genetic knowledge and progress.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
Prerequisites483 Concepts in Biology
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
Pierce, B.A. (2014). Genetics: a conceptual approach, fifth edition. W.H. Freeman and Company, NY. This text is available from the library (loan) or Co-op bookshop (purchase).
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
Extensions: Extensions must be applied for before the due date. Students can apply for an extension to the submission due date for an assessment item on the grounds of illness or other unavoidable and verifiable personal circumstances. Documentary evidence will be expected for an extension to be granted. It should be noted that such documentation will be considered but will not guarantee that the application will be successful. The Unit Convener will decide whether to grant an extension and the length of the extension.
Final exam: Students must achieve 45% in the final exam to pass the unit, regardless of marks achieved for the other assessment items.
Active participation in all scheduled laboratory classes is compulsory. Failure to participate in a class may result in a penalty (5% deduction from the total practical component mark, 10% deduction for missing two sessions, 15% deduction for missing three sessions, etc.). This penalty will be applied at the end of the teaching semester when final grades are determined. To avoid penalty in the case of illness or extenuating circumstances, please inform the unit convener of your absence prior to the session. Alternatively, medical or counselling certificates must be presented to the unit convener for every laboratory class that you may have missed.
Required IT skills
The ability to use Word and Excel is assumed
Work placement, internships or practicums
Not applicable to this unit
Potentially hazardous materials will be used as part of this Unit. Risk assessments have been performed and control measures implemented to manage hazards and risks. Students have an obligation to comply with any safety directions issued by staff and to inform staff if incidents of a potentially hazardous nature occur. With respect to chemicals, staff will provide students with access to Material Safety Data Sheets.