Mathematical Methods (577.8)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Science And Technology|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Academic Program Area - Technology||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts;
2. Calculate with functions, matrices and vectors;
3. Recognise situations where functional methods can be applied to chemistry, biology, and health; and
4. Apply the methods in straightforward real-life examples.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
Education Accreditation: AITSL and TQI Graduate Standards for Teachers
This unit is part of courses accredited by the ACT Teacher Quality Institute (TQI). On completion of this unit students will have satisfied the following Graduate Standards:
2.1 Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area - Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the concepts, substance and structure of the content and teaching strategies of the teaching area.
- 6553 General Mathematics G.
Assumed knowledgeThere are no UC prerequisites, however it is assumed that students have the background of High School mathematics to the level of an ACT College Mathematical Applications major.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Judith Ascione|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||On-Campus||Dr Judith Ascione|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Dr Judith Ascione|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Dr Judith Ascione|
Raymond N. Greenwell, Nathan P. Ritchey, Margaret L. Lial, Calculus for the Life Sciences Global Edition, 2nd edition, Pearson, 2015.
The paperback version is available from:
The online version can be obtained from:
The text book will also be available from other suppliers.
Copies can be borrowed from the library.
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
Use of text matching software
In order to pass the unit you must attempt each quiz and acheive a minimum of 25% on each test. Your overall grade will be calculated as an average of all your tests and you need to get 50% overall to pass. This means that if you get less than 25% on at least one test then your grade is NX, no matter what your overall average is. If you do not complete at least one test your grade is NC, no matter what your overall average is.
Grades are calculated from your total mark using the university's standard grading schema:
Lectures (2 hours/week; 12 times)
Tutorials (1 hours/week; 11 times)
Weekly study (6 hours/week; 12 times)
Online tests (1 hours; 10 times)
Study for online tests
It is expected that each week you will listen to the lecture and attend, either face-to-face or online, a tutorial. You should also complete the unsupervised practice questions available on Canvas each week. It is also expected that you will attempt the practice quizzes and if you have any problems go to MASH to seek help.
Required IT skills
All students are assumed to be able to:
- Read and print documents on the unit website – mostly in Adobe PDF format.
- Communicate using e-mail.
- Use their own scientific (non-programmable) calculator. (Help is available in MASH.)
Work placement, internships or practicums
None in this unit.
- Semester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202212)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (200457)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195673)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194410)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (185436)
- Winter Term, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (185636)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (185084)
- Semester 2, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (181420)
- Winter Term, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (181436)
- Semester 1, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (181405)