Introduction to Business Law (4977.7)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. The role of commercial law in Australian business activity;
2. The basic framework of the law effecting business transactions; and
3. The essential principles governing the application of that law in a commercial context.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Incompatible units9523 Business Law & Ethics
Equivalent units9523 Business Law & Ethics
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
Srivastava, D.K. ed., Business Law in Hong Kong, Sweet & Maxwell, 4th ed.
Please note that a new edition of this textbook will be released in the new year.
List of supplementary reading (these are strictly optional, but I recommend the Law dictionary)
R Krever, Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam Techniques, 6th ed., Sydney, Butterworths, 2006.
Black's Law Dictionary (on-line)
Please note that some of the above publications mayhave more current editions available or may have new editions coming out soon.
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
Students are expected to access the online materials regularly and to participate in all activities.
Students must attempt all assesment components to pass the unit.
Required IT skills
Basic IT literary skills.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Term 4, 2017, On-Campus, UCI - Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong (173476)
- Semester 2, 2017, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (167233)
- Semester 2, 2017, On-Campus, UC - TAFE NSW Northern Sydney, St Leonard's (174646)
- Semester 2, 2017, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (167232)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2017, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (165605)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2017, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (165560)
- Semester 1, 2017, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (166686)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2016, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (156795)
- Term 4, 2016, On-Campus, UCI - Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong (156806)
- Semester 2, 2016, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (156800)
- Semester 2, 2016, On-Campus, UC Melbourne - Chadstone Campus (156801)
- Semester 2, 2016, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (156799)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2016, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (156793)
- Term 2, 2016, On-Campus, UCI - Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong (156803)
- Semester 1, 2016, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (156796)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2016, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (156792)