Visual Communication for Creative Businesses G (11869.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Graduate Level|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Through a combination of research, theory and project work, students engage in a creative program of study focused on the use of visual communication design for strategic business success.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand basics of visual communication design theories and principles;
2. Evaluate a variety of international branding applications and understand the criteria for successful branding; and
3. Critically select the right tools and develop a visual identity system for various media applications.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
4. UC graduates are able to demonstrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of knowing, being and doing - apply their knowledge to working with Indigenous Australians in socially just ways
4. UC graduates are able to demonstrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of knowing, being and doing - communicate and engage with Indigenous Australians in ethical and culturally respectful ways
4. UC graduates are able to demonstrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of knowing, being and doing - use Indigenous histories and traditional ecological knowledge to develop and augment understanding of their discipline
This unit explores the ways and means of visual communication for creative businesses. It starts with basic visual communication design principles; design contexts, understanding and analysing of project briefs and applications; and continues in applying principles to develop identity systems. You will study the evolution of visual branding, understand your audience and market segmentation, and learn how to correctly represent your brand value to deliver the right message to the right target audience.
Through a combination of research, theory and project work, students engage in a creative program of study focused on visual communication design for strategic business success.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Flexible||Dr Raghavendra Gudur|
|2024||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||05 February 2024||Flexible||Dr Raghavendra Gudur|
Weekly readings will be announced on the Canvas site.
Being a graduate unit, the students need to participate in discussions to understand the topic and get the most benefit out of this unit.
Required IT skills
This unit involves online meetings in real time using the Virtual Room in your UCLearn teaching site. The Virtual Room allows you to communicate in real time with your lecturer and other students. To participate verbally, rather than just typing, you will need a microphone. For best audio quality we recommend a microphone and speaker headset. For more information and to test your computer, go to the Virtual Room in your UCLearn site and 'Join Course Room'. This will trigger a tutorial to help familiarise you with the functionality of the virtual room.
Work placement, internships or practicums