Postgraduate Psychology Research Project 3 PG (11827.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Research
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.25||6||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Psychology||Post Graduate Level|| Band 1 2021 (Pg Clinical Psychology)
Band 2 2021 (Prof Pathway Psychology-After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Prof Pathway Psychology-Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Standard Course Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 4 2021 (Standard Course Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Select appropriate methodological techniques and demonstrate advance competence in research methodology; and
2. Demonstrate advanced competence in written communication of professional psychology research.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
Prerequisites11826 Postgraduate Psychology Research Project 2 PG
Equivalent units10075 Master of Psychology Thesis PG (6cp)
Assumed knowledge11826 Postgraduate Psychology Research Project 2 PG
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Research||Dr Phil Kavanagh|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Research||Dr Phil Kavanagh|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Research||Dr Phil Kavanagh|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Research||Dr Phil Kavanagh|
There are no required texts; however the following texts and articles are recommended:
- American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.). Author. https://doi.org/10.1037/0000165-000
- Australian Psychological Society. (2020). Ethical guidelines on record keeping. Author.
- Bakker, M., Hartgerink, C. H. J., Wicherts, J. M., & van der Maas, H. L. J. (2016). Researchers' intuitions about power in psychological research. Psychological Science, 27(8), 1069-1077. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797616647519
- Cumming, G. (2014). The new statistics: Why and how. Psychological Science, 25(1), 7-29. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797613504966
- Durlak, J. A. (2009). How to select, calculate, and interpret effect sizes. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 34(9), 917-928. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsp004
- Gernsbacher, M. A. (2018). Writing empirical articles: Transparency, reproducibility, clarity, and memorability. Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological Science, 1(3), 403-414. https://doi.org/10.1177/2515245918754485
- Hayes, A. F. (2009). Beyond Baron and Kenny: Statistical mediation analysis in the new millennium. Communication Monographs, 76(4), 408-420. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637750903310360
- Hayes, A. F. (2013). Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach. Guilford Press.
- Hayes, A. F. (2015). An index and test of linear moderated mediation. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 50(1), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2014.962683
- Jones, J. A., & Waller, N. G. (2013). Computing confidence intervals for standardized regression coefficients. Psychological Methods, 18(4), 435-453. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0033269
- Lilienfeld, S. O., Sauvigné, K. C., Lynn, S. J., Cautin, R. L., Latzman, R. D., & Waldman, I. D. (2015). Fifty psychological and psychiatric terms to avoid: A list of inaccurate, misleading, misused, ambiguous, and logically confused words and phrases. Frontiers in Psychology: Education Psychology, 6(1100). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01100
- Morey, R. D., Homer, S., & Proulx, T. (2018). Beyond statistics: Accepting the null hypothesis in mature sciences. Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological Science, 1(2), 245-258. https://doi.org/10.1177/2515245918776023
- Preacher, K. J., & Merkle, E. C. (2012). The problem of model selection uncertainty in structural equation modeling. Psychological Methods, 17(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0026804
You are expected to have regular meetings with your research supervisor, as appropriate to your project, and as negotiated between you and your supervisor.
Required IT skills
Good word processing skilll are required.
It is necessary for you to be competent using specialist software for your data analyses.
Work placement, internships or practicums