Postgraduate Psychology Research Project 2 PG (11826.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Research
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Psychology||Post Graduate Level|| Band 1 2021 (Pg Clinical Psychology)
Band 2 2021 (Prof Pathway Psychology-After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Prof Pathway Psychology-Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Standard Course Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 4 2021 (Standard Course Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Design a master's level psychology research project; and
2. Apply cultural and ethical considerations to a piece of psychological research.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
Prerequisites11825 Postgraduate Psychology Research Project 1 PG
Equivalent units6310 Research Project - Implementation PG
Assumed knowledge11825 Postgraduate Psychology Research Project 1 PG
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Research||Dr Phil Kavanagh|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Research||Dr Phil Kavanagh|
There are no required texts.
The following texts are recommended:
- American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.). Author. https://doi.org/10.1037/0000165-000
- Australian Psychological Society. (2020). Ethical guidelines on record keeping. Author.
- Bakker, M., Hartgerink, C. H. J., Wicherts, J. M., & van der Maas, H. L. J. (2016). Researchers' intuitions about power in psychological research. Psychological Science, 27(8), 1069-1077. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797616647519
- Cumming, G. (2014). The new statistics: Why and how. Psychological Science, 25(1), 7-29. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797613504966
- Gernsbacher, M. A. (2018). Writing empirical articles: Transparency, reproducibility, clarity, and memorability. Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological Science, 1(3), 403-414. https://doi.org/10.1177/2515245918754485
- Hayes, A. F. (2009). Beyond Baron and Kenny: Statistical mediation analysis in the new millennium. Communication Monographs, 76(4), 408-420. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637750903310360
- Hayes, A. F. (2013). Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach. Guilford Press.
- Hayes, A. F. (2015). An index and test of linear moderated mediation. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 50(1), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2014.962683
- Jones, J. A., & Waller, N. G. (2013). Computing confidence intervals for standardized regression coefficients. Psychological Methods, 18(4), 435-453. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0033269
- Shane, B. B., & Böckenholt, U. (2016). Planning sample sizes when effect sizes are uncertain: The power-calibrated effect size approach. Psychological Methods, 21(1), 47-60. https://doi.org/10.1037/met0000036
- Morey, R. D., Homer, S., & Proulx, T. (2018). Beyond statistics: Accepting the null hypothesis in mature sciences. Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological Science, 1(2), 245-258. https://doi.org/10.1177/2515245918776023
- National Health & Medical Research Council, Australian Research Council, & Universities Australia. (2019). Supervision: A guide supporting the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research. Commonwealth of Australia.
- National Health and Medical Research Council. (2018a). Ethical conduct in research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and communities: Guidelines for researchers and stakeholders. Commonwealth of Australia.
- National Health and Medical Research Council. (2018b). Keeping research on track II: A companion document to "Ethical conduct in research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and communities: Guidelines for researchers and stakeholders". Commonwealth of Australia.
- National Health and Medical Research Council, Australian Research Council, & Universities Australia. (2018). Australian code for the responsible conduct of research. Commonwealth of Australia.
- National Health and Medical Research Council, Australian Research Council, & Universities Australia. (2019). Authorship: A guide supporting the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research. Commonweatlh of Australia.
- National Health and Medical Research Council, the Australian Council, & Universities Australia. (2018). National statement on ethical conduct in human research 2007 (updated 2018). Commonwealth of Australia.
- Preacher, K. J., & Merkle, E. C. (2012). The problem of model selection uncertainty in structural equation modeling. Psychological Methods, 17(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0026804
- Reardon, K., Smack, A., Herzhoff, K., & Tackett, J. (2019). An N-pact factor for clinical psychological research. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 128(6), 493-499. https://doi.org/10.1037/abn0000435
It is expected that students will attend other student research proposal presentations associated with the unit.
Required IT skills
Good skills in preparing visual presentations are required.
It is also recommended that students familiarise themselves with, and make use of, bibiolographic software (e.g., EndNote) to aid in collating and appropriately formatting their citations and references.
Work placement, internships or practicums