Design Thinking and User Centered Design (11656.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Recognise the iterative design process, basic design thinking and research techniques;
2. Apply design research, thinking methods, in the creation of innovative design solutions for real-world problems; and
3. Critique and apply presentation techniques for communicating design intent to stake holders.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||01 June 2021||On-Campus||Mr Sam Tomkins|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||On-Campus||Mr Gowrie Waterhouse|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2022||On-Campus||Mr Sam Tomkins|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Mr Sam Tomkins|
A detailed list of offline and online content will be published within the unit's Canvas site.
The tutorials follow a design studio structure, where formative feedback is given on assessment item, therefore attendance within the tutorial times in crucial to succeeding in this unit. As the unit delivery is a condensed intensive, Students will engage in both Am and Pm workshops throughout the winter term.
Required IT skills
Students require an intermediate understanding of standard operating systems (windows or mac IOS), word processing software as well as some design layout software to succeed in this unit.
Work placement, internships or practicums