BGL Research Internship (11571.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Internship
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra School Of Politics, Economics And Society||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Contribute to the design, planning and management of a real-world research project under supervision;
2. Negotiate and collaborate with stakeholders in a research project;
3. Undertake analysis and critical evaluation in a project context; and
4. Communicate research findings effectively individually or in groups to peers and other researchers, verbally and in writing.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
PrerequisitesStudents must have passed either 11236 Investigating and Explaining Society OR 11272 Law and Justice Research Project.
Students must also have passed 24 credit points with a GPA of at least 5.5.
Permission is required from the Unit Convener to enrol.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Internship||Dr Raymond Li|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2022||Internship||Dr Raymond Li|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Internship||Dr Yogi Vidyattama|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Internship||Dr Raymond Li|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2023||Internship||Dr Raymond Li|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Internship||Dr Yogi Vidyattama|
There are no prescribed readings for this unit. Students are expected to research widely in academic journals, newspapers, on line and related books relevant to their project supervisors will also provide guidance to students on the relevant readings and references specific to their research projects.
Below are some general reference texts available from the UC library on research methods:
Pennings, Paul., Keman, Hans., and Kleinnijenhuis, J. Doing Research in Political Science. 2nd ed. London: Sage, 2006.
Silverman, David. Qualitative Research: Theory, Method and Practice . 2nd ed. London: Sage Publications, 2004.
Ryan, Bob, Theobald, Michael., and Scapens, Robert William. Research Method and Methodology in Finance and Accounting. 2nd ed. London: Thomson, 2002.
Zikmund, William G. Business Research Methods. 7th ed. Cincinnati, OH: Thomson/South-Western, 2003.
Please note that students are required to undertake an internship placement of 90 hours under the supervision of a UC researcher (project supervisor) either within the university research environment or with an appropriate partner organisation. Therefore, the work schedule will be negotiated between the project supervisor and student.
Students are expected to engage actively with their project supervisor throughout the unit.
Required IT skills
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 2, 2022, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (207502)
- Winter Term, 2022, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (205144)
- Semester 1, 2022, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206062)
- Semester 2, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202853)
- Semester 1, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202540)
- Winter Term, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (192696)
- Semester 1, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (192695)