Information Sciences Internship (Extended) PG (11531.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Science And Technology|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Academic Program Area - Technology||Post Graduate Level|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
This unit is co-taught with 10152 Information Sciences Internship (Extended) (UG).
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
1. Assess the use of enhanced skills and knowledge through engagement in the workplace;
2. Develop communication skills to present a clear and coherent exposition of knowledge and ideas to colleagues;
3. Demonstrate engagement with authentic professional work problem solving;
4. Analyse and critically reflect upon and evaluate work practices, standards and cultures; and
5. Evaluate their own development towards graduate capability.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
The goal of the IS Internship (Extended) PG unit is to provide extended work experience that is of value to the organisation and also augments the student's formal IT education. The IT industry, including the professional body and employers, clearly recognises the advantage of students gaining extended practical experience to complement their formal education before entering the profession. Students will use the extended internship opportunity to apply the theories and concepts they have learnt at University to real-life situations. Students will be able to use this extended internship experience to reflect on their field of study, as well as develop their professional and personal skills. Each student is expected to complete 120 hours of industry placement over the duration of the unit. The timetable is negotiated between the stduent and the intern hosting organisation.
PrerequisitesMust have passed 24 credit points in the relevant course AND have permission from the Unit Convener to enrol.
Corequisites7900 Information Sciences Internship PG
Incompatible units10152 Information Sciences Internship (Extended) (UG)
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Dr Kumudu Munasinghe|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Internship||Dr Kumudu Munasinghe|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr Kumudu Munasinghe|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Internship||Dr Kumudu Munasinghe|
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
Normally an aggregate mark of 50% is required to pass the unit.
The final grade for the subject is then determined according to the following table:
85 <= Final mark <= 100
Final grade = HD
75 <= Final mark < 85
Final grade = DI
65 <= Final mark < 75
Final grade = CR
50 <= Final mark < 65
Final grade = P
0 <= Final mark < 50
a final grade (NX, NC, or NN)
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
A 120-hours placement in the intern hosting organisation is compulsory.
Required IT skills
varies depending on the nature of intern positions
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves ICT practice in workplaces, and therefore, additional student responsibilities are required in addition to those described in this section. Work-place learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. The professional nature of this unit also requires 100% participation at all learning activities for the successful completion of this unit (also see section 6c). If attendance requirements cannot be satisfied, it is recommended that you meet with your Unit Convener to schedule this unit for a future semester.
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (205616)
- Semester 2, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202171)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (200221)
- Semester 2, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (196280)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (198345)
- Semester 2, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (192370)