Intellectual Property Law PG (11459.1)
|Available teaching periods
|View teaching periods
| UC - Canberra, Online
|Faculty Of Business, Government & Law
|Canberra Law School
|Post Graduate Level
| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain and apply the role and nature of intellectual property law as essential and evolving areas of Australian law (including development of that law in response);
2. Describe and apply rights in the field of intellectual property law, including assignment of rights, licences, employment undertakings and other undertakings affecting such rights;
3. Describe and appraise the essential principles governing application of intellectual property law within a national and international context; and
4. Implement legal communication, research and analysis skills to intellectual property principles and practice.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
4. UC graduates are able to demonstrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander ways of knowing, being and doing - use Indigenous histories and traditional ecological knowledge to develop and augment understanding of their discipline
Prerequisites11751 Legal Methods and Skills G AND 11752 Legal Systems G
Incompatible units11288 Intellectual Property Law
Equivalent units6333 Intellectual Property Law PG
|Teaching start date
|UC - Canberra, Online
|Study Block 3
|06 May 2024
|Dr Bruce Baer Arnold
There is one recommended texts:
- Mark Davison, Anne Monotti and Leanne Wiseman, Australian Intellectual Property (Cambridge University Press, 4th ed, 2020)
¿A comprehensive Reading Guide for each lecture and workshop will be available on Canvas prior to the first lecture.
Content in the unit is delivered on an intensive basis, equivalent to a standard semester.
All sessions are recorded. The three assessment items are spaced over several weeks in Winter Term.
The unit draws on student feedback from several intensive units regarding workload, delivery and assessment. It includes workshops that provide guidance about resources, research strategies and drafting.
Required IT skills
Work placement, internships or practicums