Legal Advice Clinic PG (11453.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Internship
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Post Graduate Level|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
- Client interviewing
- Conducting legal research to respond to client need
- Drafting letters of advice
- Preparing materials for community legal education through the clinic
- Policy and reform work arising out of issues presented at the clinic
This unit may be co-taught with an undergraduate version of the unit.
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply legal principles to tasks under supervision of a licensed legal practitioner;
2. Conduct research to solve a real legal problem;
3. Reflect on the study and practice of law; and
4. Successfully communicate their reflections or research through a presentation.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
This is a work integrated learning unit, with a focus on developing professional commuication and skills.
PrerequisitesThis unit is only available to students in the Juris Doctor course.
Enrolment must be approved by the unit convener.
Students must have passed 11431 Foundations of Law and Justice AND 11435 Torts Law G, or equivalent, AND an additional 27 credit points of Law units.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Internship||Dr Maree Sainsbury|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Internship||Dr Maree Sainsbury|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Internship||Dr Maree Sainsbury|
Resources available on Canvas, which will be introduced in an orientation session.
The professional nature of this unit also requires 100% participation at all learning activities for the successful completion of this unit. If attendance requirements cannot be
satisfied (e.g. timetable clash), it is recommended that you meet with your Unit Convener to schedule this unit for a future semester.
Further, if you are unable to attend the clinic in any week, it is important that you advice the unit convenor and provide a reason for your absence. If you miss too many sessions, you may not be able to meet the learning outcomes for this unit. If you anticipate missing more than two sessions in the semester you should discuss your enrolment with the unit convenor
Required IT skills
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves a clinical placement and therefore, additional student responsibilities are required in addition to those described in this section. Work-place learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. Solicitor/ client confidentiality must always be maintained including for assessment items such as reports or essays.
- Semester 2, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202995)
- Winter Term, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202769)
- Semester 1, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202687)
- Semester 2, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190758)
- Winter Term, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194860)
- Semester 2, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190756)
- Winter Term, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (192589)
- Semester 1, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190653)