Lawyers and Professional Responsibility G (11433.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Graduate Level|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe and practice the importance of lawyers' obligations to the administration of justice, the Courts, clients, the profession and the community by reference to both the common law and rules of professional conduct;
2. Identify, reflect on and manage ethical dilemmas likely to arise in practice; and
3. Develop a professional identity through an e-portfolio.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
PrerequisitesThis unit is only available to students in the Juris Doctor, Master of Laws, Master of Legal Studies, Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies and Graduate Certificate in Legal Studies courses.
CorequisitesStudents must be enrolled in or have already passed 11431 Foundations of Law and Justice G or equivalent.
Equivalent units7230 Lawyers and Professional Responsibility G
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Flexible||Mr Scott Pearsall|
G E Dal Pont, Lawyers' Professional Responsibility, (Law Book Co, 7th ed, 2021)..
Legal Profession Act 2006 (ACT) (‘LPA')
Legal Profession (Solicitors) Conduct Rules 2015
Legal Profession (Barristers) Rules 2014 (ACT)
Peter McFarlane and Ysaiah Ross, Ethics, Professional Responsibility and Legal Practice, (LexisNexis, 1st edition 2017).
Christine Parker and Adrian Evans, Inside Lawyer's Ethics (Cambridge University Press, 3rd edition 2018).
Duncan Webb Ethics, Professional Responsibility and the Lawyer (LexisNexis, 3rd edition, 2016).
Marlene Ebejer, Legal Practice and Ethics (LexisNexis Butterworths, 2nd edition, 2016).
LIV Ethics: https://www.liv.asn.au/Professional-Practice/Ethics
Required IT skills
Basic IT skills are required in this unit.
Work placement, internships or practicums