Design History, Culture and Society (11331.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify key periods in the history of design;
2. Compare and contrast design works from notable designers in their field;
3. Articulate past, present and future roles of design in society in relation to culture, function and context; and
4. Make recommendations for modifications to existing designs based on an understanding of type, context and a range of established theoretical positions and ideas.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
Equivalent units9483 Design History, 9774 History & Theory 1: Introduction to Architecture History, 11016 BE: History and Culture and 11044 Design Culture and Society.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 2||21 June 2021||On-Campus||Mr James Young|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Miss Chenchen Li|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||26 September 2022||On-Campus||Mr James Young|
Suggested reading (not compulsory): Frerebee, A & J. Byles (2011) A History of Design From the Victorian Era to the Present. A Survey of the Modern Style in Architecture, Interior Design, Indiustrial Design, Graphic Design and Photograpy. WW Norton: NewYork
Diploma students are required to attend all classes.
Required IT skills
Basic IT skills related to web searching. Basic word processing and image placement skills.
Costs are lilely to be less than $100 in total.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- UC College Trimester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (199555)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (197023)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (194524)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (192474)