Professional Orientation (11330.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the personal skills, capabilities and knowledge necessary to meet the work standards expected by the design and built environment professions in the workplace;
2. Map out their personal and professional trajectories over the next five years in an eportfolio;
3. Explain the interdependencies and nuances of the various design and built environment professions;
4. Identify the evolving responsibilities of the design, communications and built environment professionals to address contemporary global challenges; and
5. Identify the parameters and diverse opportunities of your discipline and to explore where and how you might play a role in it.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
Equivalent units9799 Foundations of Professional Planning, 10334 Professional Orientation (Built Environment), 10336 Professional Orientation (Design) and 10335 Professional Orientation (Communication and Media).
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||22 February 2021||On-Campus||Mr James Young|
|2021||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||18 October 2021||On-Campus||Mr James Young|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 2||06 June 2022||On-Campus||Mr James Young|
"Don't Get a Job Make a Job: How to make it as a creative graduate" Paperback – March 15, 2016 by Gemma Barton (Author)
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE GRAPHIC DESIGNERS
CODES OF ETHICS
CAREER PATH GRAPHIC DESIGNER
CAREER SELF-ASSESSMENT TOOLS
PROFESSIONAL BODIES IN DESIGN
Industrial Design Organisations:
Good Design Australia
THE FUTURE OF WORK AND EMPLOYABILITY
Deloittes The Future of Work:
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
Students are required to upload their work on Canvas AND, where required, present it in during the tutorial in the virtual room.
Attendance at scheduled classes and contribution over the semester is required. Presentation and discussion of your work in progress is essential for the development of your design skills in meeting the learning outcomes of the subject and for your design education.
Participation in class reviews provides important opportunities for feedback and demonstrates that the submitted work is your own.
Please advise the Unit Convener if you are unable to attend a particular class and provide supporting documentation.
Required IT skills
Basic computer literacy. Assessment will be submitted using Canvas. If you need help with this, please visit the LearnOnline Student Help area.
No expected in unit costs
Work placement, internships or practicums
- UC College Trimester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (199470)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (203235)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (190210)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (190209)