Cultural Sociology (11328.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra School Of Politics, Economics And Society||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to: 1. Understand and critically interrogate knowledge of key sociological theorists and analysts of culture;
2. Account for competing schools of thought in cultural sociology and the sociology of culture;
3. Apply and interrogate contemporary cultural phenomena and issues through the lens of cultural sociology;
4. Achieve a deep knowledge and application of key contemporary sociological debates in cultural life and actively collaborate with others to achieve common goals through problem based group work; and
5. Reflect upon their unit experience, including theories, discussions and feedback, and how this relates to the goals set out in their professional portfolio.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
Prerequisites11246 Introduction to Sociology AND 11249 Sociology of Technology and Work AND Must have passed 48 credit points.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Flexible||Dr Sarah Maslen|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Dr Sarah Maslen|
Available via Canvas site and library.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
All assessment items to be submitted via the Canvas site.
Attendance and contributions during seminars and discussions is a requirement of this unit (see Assessmnet A guidelines document on canvas site).
Required IT skills
Work placement, internships or practicums