Frameworks for Midwifery (11302.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Midwifery||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020)
Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Examine the regulatory frameworks that underpin midwifery practice;
2. Analyse and apply ethical frameworks to midwifery practice; and
3. Analyse and explain the law as it applies to midwifery practice.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
Prerequisites11334 The Work of Birth.
CorequisitesMust be enrolled in HLB001 Bachelor of Midwifery.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||01 June 2021||On-Campus||Dr Marjorie Atchan|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2022||On-Campus||Dr Marjorie Atchan|
McDonald, F.& Then, S. (2019). Ethics, Law and Health Care: A guide for nurses and Midwives. (2nd edn) Melbourne, Palgrave Macmillan. KN185.18.N8.M33 2014
Allan, S. (2019). Law & Ethics for Health Practitioners. Australia, Elsevier
McIlwraith, J., & Madden, B. (2014). Health Care & the Law. (6th edn).Sydney, Lawbook Co. KL30.H4.M35 2014
Pairman, S., Tracy, S., Dahlen, H., Dixon, L., (2019) Midwifery: preparation for Practice 4e. (4th edn.). Sydney, Elsevier.
Staunton, P. & Chiarella, M. (2017). Law for nurses and midwives. (8th edn). Sydney, Elsevier.
Atkins, K., De Lacey, S., Ripperger, R., & Britton, B. (2017) Ethics and Law for Australian Nurses (3rd edn). Singapore, Cambridge University Press
Some of the unit content is delivered online so please check Canvas regularly for online course materials and for announcements.
Required IT skills
Work placement, internships or practicums