Law of Business Associations (11222.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the law relevant to the main topics covered in the unit;
2. Develop effective strategies in researching, identifying and applying the relevant law in legal problem solving;
3. Analyse material from a variety of sources to produce a coherent piece of advice for a hypothetical client, outlining the likely legal consequences of certain actions or inactions in areas including directors¿ duties, corporate financing and external administration; and
4. Identify and discuss selected ethical issues related to the application of the law in a business context.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
Prerequisites11220 Business Law.
Assumed knowledgeAn understanding of the Australian legal system and of the law of contracts (including formation, termination and remedies), the law of agency and the law of torts.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Flexible||Dr Jenny Fu|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Dr Jenny Fu|
|2022||UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Prof Alison Gerard|
Anil Hargovan, Michael Adams and Catherine Brown, Australian Corporate Law (LexisNexis, 7th ed, 2021)
Anil Hargovan, LexisNexis Case Summaries Corporations Law (LexisNexis, 2nd ed, 2021)
Australian Corporations Legislation 2021 Student Edition (LexisNexis, 2021).
Robert P Austin and Ian M Ramsay, Ford, Austin and Ramsay's Principles of Corporations Law (LexisNexis Butterworths, 17th ed, 2018)
Jason Harris, LNQA: Corporations Law (LexisNexisButterworths, 4th ed, 2013)
Baxt, Fletcher and Fridman, Corporations & Associations: Cases & Materials (LexisNexisButterworths, 10th ed, 2009)
Recommended Corporate Law Journals
Australian Journal of Corporate Law
Company and Securities Law Journal and Insolvency Law Journal
Australian Securities & Investments Commission: http://asic.gov.au/
University of Canberra Library key law databases: http://canberra.libguides.com/law
It is an expectation that students will attend all classes online or on campus and that non-attendance be the exception. However, where possible all lectures will be recorded and made available on Canvas.
Required IT skills
Students are also assumed to have basic IT skills, such as word processing, familiarity with the Internet sufficient to use e-mail, and access unit information and research databases.
Work placement, internships or practicums
While there are no placements available, this unit is structured to wherever possible relate directly to real workplace experiences with case studies used frequently.
- 7024 Corporations Law.
Equivalent units8508 Law of Business Associations.
- Semester 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (204579)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (196015)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (196013)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (184831)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (184830)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184829)