Business Law (11220.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne
UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to: 1. Demonstrate an ability to solve legal problems in a range of contexts;
2. Analyse material from a variety of sources to produce a coherent piece of advice for a hypothetical client, outlining the likely legal consequences of certain actions or inactions in areas including contract law, negligence, property law, and trade practices law; and
3. Identify and discuss selected ethical issues related to the application of the law in a business context.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
- 6225 Business Law G
Equivalent units4977 Introduction to Business Law
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Flexible||Dr Jenny Fu|
|2021||UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Jenny Fu|
|2021||UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai||Global Pathways Program Semester 1||22 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Jenny Fu|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Flexible||Dr Geoff Nicoll|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Flexible||Dr Jenny Fu|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Dr Geoff Nicoll|
Stephen Graw, David Parker, Keturah Whitford, Elfriede Sangkuhl and Christina Do, Understanding Business Law (LexisNexis Butterworths Australia, 9th Edition. 2019)
We are advised by the publisher that there are currently 180 copies of this text available to our students. Students can place their order online via the LexisNexis store site (https://store.lexisnexis.com.au/) anytime. If the need arises to cite it, our reference is 210628-000321.
Important: Please note that you must have a hard copy of this text with you (not internet access to an Ecopy) if you wish to refer to this text in an open book exam.
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
In this unit, students are expected to obtain an overall total score of at least 50/100. It is not necessary that students obtain a pass result (i.e. at least 50%) in each and every item of assessment. However, students are expected to obtain at least 40% in the final examination to pass this unit. The final mark is determined by adding the total number of marks achieved in the term. Final grades in this unit will be assessed according to performance in the items of the assessment described in "5a. Assessment Item Details".
Use of text matching software
Applications for an extension to the due date for submission of an assessment item on the grounds of illness or other unavoidable and verifiable personal circumstances (that is, special consideration) should be submitted via email to the unit convener. Each application for an extension has to be supported by appropriate documentation. For advice on documentary evidence to support applications for extensions, please refer to the Deferred Examination Policy https://guard.canberra.edu.au/policy/policy.php?pol_id=3176.
"Students should apply for extensions before the due submission date, and are advised to do so as early as possible. Applications after the due submission date may be considered only in exceptional circumstances" Assessment Procedures 3.22.
If there is any doubt with regard to the requirements of any assignment or assessment procedure, the onus for clarifying the issue rests with the student who should contact the lecturer about the matter.
See UCLearn (Canvas).
Required IT skills
Word processing, PowerPoint Presentation and ability to undertake computerised exams.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (204557)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (204368)
- Global Pathways Program Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai (204192)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (204129)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (203509)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195538)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194219)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (197229)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184781)
- Global Pathways Program Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai (192287)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184780)
- Semester 2, 2018, On-Campus, UC - TAFE NSW Northern Sydney, St Leonard's (190539)
- Semester 2, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (190193)
- Semester 2, 2018, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (189924)
- Semester 2, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (183373)
- Semester 1, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (183051)