Accounting and Decision Support Systems (11216.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
| UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne
UC - Canberra, Bruce
UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Business School||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Produce financial reports using accounting software;
2. Assess IT governance frameworks;
3. Explain the importance of internal controls and design internal controls that cover key business processes and support the achievement of goals;
4. Develop complex spreadsheet-based decision support models for a variety of problems; and
5. Identify assumptions used in decision support models and evaluate their impact.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
Prerequisites11212 Accounting Systems and Practices.
- 6348 Information Systems in Organisations.
Assumed knowledgeA sound understanding of financial accounting, particularly how to journalise transactions and events.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Monir Mir|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Flexible||Mr Mark Hughes|
|2021||UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai||Global Pathways Program Semester 1||22 February 2021||On-Campus||Mr Mark Hughes|
|2022||UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Prof Raechel Johns|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Flexible||Prof Raechel Johns|
Marshall Romney, Paul Steinbart Accounting Information Systems (Global Edition), 15th Ed.
Wayne Winston, Microsoft Excel Data Analysis and Business Modelling (5e), Microsoft
This book can be purchased online from a variety of sources including Amazon (see below) in either a hard copy or e-copy format.
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
Final grades in this subject will be assessed according to performance in each of the assessment items identified above. In order to pass this unit, you must obtain:
· an overall total score of at least 50% AND
· submit all assessment items marked as mandatory AND
· meet any indicated threshold requirements.
For assessment items marked as mandatory, each piece of assessment must be completed and submitted, but it is not necessary that students pass each individual item of assessment.
For threshold items, students must complete the assessment item and meet the minimum indicated threshold requirement. In this unit, the final examination is a threshold requirement. Students must obtain a minimum of 40% in the final exam and 50% overall to pass the unit.
Lectures, tutorials and workshops are an essential learning opportunity in this unit. I recommend that students prioritise participation in class, as there is a strong correlation between unit success and participation.
Required IT skills
This unit has a strong focus on two areas of IT widely used in accounting practices. These are set out below.
1) Accounting software packages for small to medium sized businesses.
2) Developing, interpreting and understanding the limitations of spreadsheet-based decision support models
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Global Pathways Program Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai (202509)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (204344)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (204085)
- Global Pathways Program Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai (198818)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (197485)