Introduction to Management (11174.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Business School||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply theories of management to current, and hypothetical, future-oriented management situations;
2. Investigate and analyse the complicating factors in management science;
3. Identify and distinguish advantages and disadvantages in applying management tasks and competencies;
4. Articulate basic management principles in written and oral work; and
5. Reflect on future career development based on the practice of management.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Equivalent units9525 Principles of Management AND 4207 Introduction to Management.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Flexible||Dr Sarvjeet Kaur Chatrath|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||21 February 2022||On-Campus||Mrs Lili Zhang|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 2||20 June 2022||On-Campus||Mrs Lili Zhang|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Dr Sarvjeet Kaur Chatrath|
|2023||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Mrs Lili Zhang|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Online||Dr Sarvjeet Kaur Chatrath|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr Sarvjeet Kaur Chatrath|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2023||Online||Dr Sarvjeet Kaur Chatrath|
|2023||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 2||05 June 2023||On-Campus||Mrs Lili Zhang|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Flexible||Dr Sarvjeet Kaur Chatrath|
Robbins, S. P., Coulter, M., DeCenzo, D. A. & Woods, M., Management: The essentials. 4th ed., Melbourne, VIC: Pearson Australia.
Note: the textbook is also available as an e-textbook. The hard copy and ecopy of the textbook is available on the publisher's website. The link is https://www.pearson.com.au/9781488664953
It is critical that you have your own copy of this textbook, either in print or electronic form. It will be used in all classes throughout the term and you will need to use it in preparation for lectures, Workshops, the assignments and the final simulation.
Additional resources will be available on the unit Canvas site.
You will also find useful and credible information in a broad range of peer reviewed journals, business publications, books and newspapers available through the university library. Databases can be accessed through the Library website at: http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/research-gateway/databases
Other recommended books:
Jones, G.R., George, J. M., Barrett, M. and Honig, B. (2016). Contemporary Management. Fourth Edition, McGraw-Hill Education, North Ryde.
Schermerhorn, J. P., Davidson, P., Poole, D., Woods, P., Simon, A. and McBarron, E. (2014.) Management: Foundations and Applications. 2nd Asia Pacific Edition, Wiley: QLD.
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
NOTE that to pass this unit you must:
- Achieve an overall result of 50% or greater; AND
- The student should participate in ALL assessment items
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
Weekly lecture: 1.5 hours/week, 12 times
Weekly workshop: 1.5 hours/week, 11 times
Weekly study commitment, in addition to the 2 items above: 2 hours/week, 13 times (including mid-term break)
Weekly quiz: preparation time of 2 hours/quiz, 11 times
Workplace simulation part A: Group presentation: preparation time of 30 hours
Workplace simulation part B: Individual Reflection: preparation time of 10 hours
Workplace simulation part C: Final Project : preparation time of 27.5 hours
Please see 6a Learner Engagement.
Required IT skills
Microsoft suite or equivalent programs
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 2, 2022, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (207624)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2022, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (205306)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (207130)
- Semester 1, 2022, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206083)
- Semester 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203755)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (202801)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (202705)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (204343)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203750)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (203470)
- Global Pathways Program Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai (198209)
- Semester 2, 2020, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (198204)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (198203)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (198205)
- Semester 1, 2020, Online, UC - Canberra, Bruce (198202)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (198201)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (198208)